Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 7hp Engine will not run and i cannot locate serial number

I made the last post just before my laptop battery gave up.

The Eskas were late in the game for Wizard motors and were just Eska motors rebranded. Sears used Eska motors for years in their Ted Williams outboards.

They all seem to use Tecumseh powerheads. The lower parts almost always interchange if you keep near your horsepower rating. The most common Eskas can be found in the 3hp. range. I own about 4 or 5 of them. I've always been impressed how many parts interchange from model to model. Many common parts are available on E-bay but you have to compare your parts with their pictures to get an idea of fit. Coils and condensers seem to be the weak areas of these wonderful old motors. Mine are notorious for running until warm and dying in the middle of the lake. I suspect a break in the coil wiring that separates when warm or shorting out of the spark plug wires when they get a splash of water on them. I want to spray the coil and wires with lacquer or wd-40 someday to test my theory of them shorting out. Until then they sit in the shed.

Your motor is probably newer than the late 1960's manuals, but they will still help you out some.

Thanks for all the help guys. Ive never been on a forum as helpfull as this. Did some work last night and found i had to rebuild the carb, nothin to crazy but i know how im spending this sunday off......Just wanted to say thanks and ask about how long i can depend on this motor to get me around the ICW where i live. Should i be carefull and stay close to my launching point or can i count on this thing to not crap out for a whole trip? Thanks again guys and keep up the good work

I wouldn't go too far until you can trust it...and then not without a spare motor, oars or at least a comfortable paddle. They built this motor for a long time, so I guess you could say it's fairly dependable if well maintained. The lower units on these are pretty well built but you might want to take some extra brass sheer keys cut from hardware store brass rod in case your prop hits something and sheers the old one. some of my newer Eskas had a rubber plug on the motor mount with holes to store a couple of brass sheer rods and a spare cotter pin.
Although these are air cooled, most have impellers to cool the exhaust gases in the leg of the motor, so always run it in water and don't rev it up without a load on the prop unless you like connecting rods flying from the new hole in the side of the crankcase.

Does yours have a gas tank built in? Some of them have a hook-up for a hose to an external tank also.

Thanks for the info, i just did a complete check on the engine i think i have everything where i want it. The motor wont push the boat faster then 5-8 mph but it will work for the next few weeks until i can get a 15 hp. And to answer your question yes it does have a 1 gal built in gas tank.