Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 New Motors

I just acquired 2 more Wizards for my collection. One is a 1949 WF-4 and the other is a 1956 WN-7 my other 2 are 1950 WF-7 and a 1957 WH-6. I traded an 1963 10 HP Evinrude for the WF-4 and WN-7. The man I traded with lives in Pinson AL. I has probably 50 Wizard's he is trading /selling with lot's of parts motors. Thought I would mention him in case anyone is looking for Wizards or parts. try (Wizards-Birmingham-AL-craigslist)I have cleaned carbs and have both of them running and pumping water. The wf-4 doe's not pump much water ( it pumps similar to my WH-6) Is this normal? The Powermatic 12 runs great but want's to jump into FWD gear when idling. Is there an adjustment that can be made or doe's it have an indent spring/ball that may be worn?
Wizard's are cool:-)

Re: 2 New Motors

First rule of thumb would be to replace the impeller to be safe ... they are relatively cheap insurance. However, if you put your hand within a couple inches of the the water exhaust holes on the WF-4 and it gets wet, it is probably OK (much like the WH-6). On the WN-7, which I assume has the tiller throttle like my Mark 20, when it is shifted into neutral, advance the twist grip forward so that the notch in the throttle drum is lowered down onto the shift lever pin. This should help keep it from popping into forward when idling. This happens with my Mark 20 from time to time, too. Not the best shifting design.

JP

Thanks for the advice! When I traded for the motor the fella said that he had replaced the water pump recently. I was just wondering if it pumped similar to my WH-6 and it appears that it doe's. I will try my Powermatic 12 as you suggested. Thanks again!!! I forgot to mention I also purchased a 1953 Mark 15. I have not had it running yet to determine if it will need a water impeller. I did a little checking and it appears that I may need a special to change the impeller. Where do I purchase one or better yet, Doe's anyone have any drawings for one(a sketch will do) and I will manufacture one.
The next thing I want to do is build a couple boats, A small one ( 10 to 12 feet) for my small motors and a larger one ( 14 to 16 feet but wide) for my bigger motors. I have a cabinet shop and feel I could build one that will suit my older motors better than a newer boat. Can anyone recommend a good set of plans!
Thanks and Hope everyone has a Great Day!!!

A PDF of the Water pump Replacement for the Mark 15 with tool drawings can be found here:
http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/whitepapers/atr.pdf
I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. Don't they have a replacement that comes in a spray can (Ha Ha!!) You guy's are great!!!

Michael,

There is a special tool for removing the water pump cover to change the impeller on a Mark 15, but you can also make your own ... or even better, just pick yourself up a cheap pin wrench from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-pin-wrench-36554.html

I can't remember, but the water pump cover might be lefthand threaded. The Mark 15s and 20s put out a heck off a lot of water out of the water exhaust holes on the leg and the block has a pee-hole. The actually look pretty cool when running.

The Mark 15/20 design isn't too difficult to work on. Don't open up the gearcase unless you really need to ... just fill it with Lubriplate #105 grease and check it for water from time to time. The Mark 15 has the Phelon magneto, so it is a little cheaper and easier to service than the Mark 20's Bendix Scintilla magneto. I would strongly recommend that you convert it from a pressure tank set-up to a fuel pump, unless you have a good pressure tank and the proper Mercury pressure fuel fitting.

JP

Thanks so much for the advice!! When I bought the motor It had the original 2 prong twist fitting. I also bought for $20 bucks :-) a Mercury pressure tank from the guy that's very clean inside and decent shape on the outside. However, it will not pressurize. so today I ordered a repair kit and a double hose. at first I was thinking about converting the motor and putting a fuel pump on it, so I could use the same tank for my Wizards. But, I decided that I would like to keep the motor as original as possible.
As far as the impeller, I am not sure when or if it has been replaced. I am going to get the motor running and see how well it is pumping and go from there and be sure to watch it close the first couple outings.
The only problem I can see, is which motor I am going to use on a regular basis. My Powermatic 12 is a heck of a motor and from what I have heard it has lots of get-up and go. Not to mention everyone (Folks that don't get senior discounts) asking " what the heck is a Wizard"
Thanks again for all the advice, it's very much appreciated !!!!

I just picked up my 2nd wizard wm 7. do you have an email address for the guy in alabama or name and phone number? I need a few parts and he may have something I need.

roger davis
rogerdavis1956@gmail.com

Roger, I just looked this up on craigslist. I just did some cutting and pasting from his add. his name is Kevin and he's a real nice fella!!! Hope,it helps!!!

i have a collection of wizard outboard motors.
many models and hp ranges.some run some need very little
and some are parts motors.selling to make room .
these would be great for the antique outboard collector.
call keven at205-617-3560