Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wizard super 5 not cooling

I borrowed and engine from my grandfather to use this this weekend. i have no idea when the last time he had it running. it started up and runs great, but there is no cooling water coming from the engine. wondering if anybody knows a simple fix or suggestions to try and get this thing going by thursday. id appreciate it.

Re: wizard super 5 not cooling

Is the motor overheating?
WH6 and WH6A do not have a specific outlet to indicate water is flowing thru engine.
The relief holes in back of leg will show
vapor at times but not always.
If motor smells hot, powerhead paint shows color change or powerhead is too hot to touch...you have a problem.
Wizard WH6 & WH6A require a mixture of 8 ounces
of TCW3 outboard oil to each gallon of unleaded gasoline. Use of gasoline with alcohol added
will strip coating from carburetor float...causes problems in time.
USUAL SUSPECT:
Long stored unused outboard motors should have
the rubber impeller in waterpump checked and
usually replaced. They are available from several
on line sources. Rubber impeller fails more thru
age than use. Depending on make and model impeller
replacement may be a simple or not so simple task.
Bits and pieces of a failed impeller may also be carried up into cooling water passages which will block or restrict flow of water.
Replacing impeller on Wizard WH6 or WH6A involves
following set proceedure to obtain desired result.
I doubt you can source the impeller and do the work in time for this weekend's boating.
Get out the oars.

After reviewing my comments they seem a bit harsh.
Well they are and they aren't.
For those with no background in two cycle outboards
attempting a hurry up and go revivial of a long stored outboard I can see only dark clouds.
On the positive side if a person is willing to invest time, effort and some money most old outboards are
likely to return good reliable service.
An outboard that has been in long term storage is a good beginers project if...a) it was put away as a
running motor that was fogged and run dry of fuel.
b) it did not become stuck in storage c) it has not
been subject of the unskilled who took off parts
which departed to parts unknown.
A "no spark" issue usually means flywheel has to be
removed which calls for a tool and some technique.
Even a motor with good spark is NOT ready to run
until the rubber water pump impeller has been inspected and usually replaced. Check the gear
case for presence of water or absence of lube.
Carburetor float may also present problems so
that is another item on check and possible replace
or refurbish list. If all of the above check out
is it time to put gas in tank and go? Nope...
we are dealing with TWO CYCLE which almost without
exception means mixing outboard oil with gas prior
to filling tank on motor.
Your public library (if like mine) has a section dealing with boating and outboard motors. You
may be lucky enough to find vintage generic tune up
and repair manual(s).What you don't know can hurt that old outboard so check the archives.
Lastly and Firstly...before you start...
evaluate the motor...if it is worn out or has problems beyond your ability or budget it may be
best to not get involved
Warning: success with your first outboard project may
lead you into a hobby!
Louis

Actually after doing a bit more research into the motor and finding the owners manual, it ran the way it is supposed too. just not as i expected it to run. i was looking more for a steady stream of water coming from the engine to indicate it was cooling. i saw a few videos and more reading showed me that these engines are different than that. i tried it after seeing this stuff and it was doing exactly what it should be doing. it ran well all weekend for us. very good little motor. but i did take your advice and brought the oars with me, just in case.

Alls well that ends well. The fact that you are able to use the motor speaks well of its prior use and care. My conservative approach reflects experience
with run of the mill outboards. A few month's ago
I checked out magnetos of four Mercury KF5 and
one Mark 5 (similar to your Wizard) Four sets of
coils were swelled up and cracked wide open...the
fifth had good coils but the flywheel was cracked
thru the hub from being over torqued. I did not
bother looking at impellers...these motors had not
run in years so impellers more likely to be originals
than recent replacements.
Louis

Wizards pump the water into the exhaust, You'll never know if it's pumping unless it's cooling. The little copper pipe threaded into the handle is some sorta case vent, not a water outlet. I often wonder if the exhaust back pressure can magnify the problems with a weak pump.

Early Kiekhaefer singles discharge water externally
via a tube from top rear of water jacket while the twins discharge water internally via a tube from top of upper water jacket to the exhaust manifold. (An exception being the KF3 single which discharges via
a tube from top of water jacket thru plate covering exhaust leg.) (Later powerheads route water via internal plumbing.)
Cooling the exhaust manifold and the exhaust housing
seems to more critical with the twins even though the water pump impeller is driven at a higher rpm due to
different gearing on twins.
Note that outboard motors were not equipped with thermostats until 1960's so powerhead operating temperature varied depending on temperature of water
which might vary greatly by season or region. Slow
warm up and uncertain operating temperatures made for poor fuel economy, problems selecting a park plug heat range and variable engine performance.
At the cost of adding a system that required service
and replacement, theromostat regulated water flow made for engines that ran better and longer, used less fuel and simplified spark plug selection.
Louis

where did you find an owners manual for your super5?

An owner's manual for a super 5 would be a great thing to scan and upload here.

Re: wizard super 5 owners manual - WH6 S/N; 845570

Hi Brian: Were you successful in getting him to scan and upload the owners manual for the super 5 to this site. I need a copy of it. My WH6 needs some loving care, took the flywheel off yesterday and the ignition coil is toast. Would like do a complete tune-up and replace the water pump impeller while Iam at it. Where can I find parts for this?? ..... .....

Re: wizard super 5 owners manual - WH6 S/N; 845570

Look at top of flywheel for magneto model. I believe it will be a Repco/Phelon
(Repco is a later name R E Phelon Company). Once you have Make and Model
there are sites to identify specific parts including coil, points and
condensers...the usual replacement items. Most outboard makers sourced carburetors and magnetos from vendors.
Once you know the Make and Model post here for further comment.
Since your motor was made by Kiekhaefer (Mercury) it may be very similar
to equivalent Mercury model.but NOT always same parts. So research before
reaching for wallet to buy anything that "should work" because it may or may not
Louis