Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need a Paint code number

You guys are experts in wizards.THIS SITE IS A JOKE NO ONE NO sheet.are it a big area 51 project

Hi Jp,
I have seen the pictures of Ron’s Wizards and the only way to describe them is incredible. But what I am doing is to reproduce a factory finish on the motors I am working on. In the past I have filled and wet sanded down to 600 grit to get the paint to lay down and look like a car. But that’s not how a Wizard came when you bought them new. The finish showed the roughness of the castings and there was color variation from year to year. That’s what I am trying to archive. Sounds like the easy way out but I am working for as original as possible. Thanks again for those paints but I think my other choice is to take a piece that has good paint still and get it mixed. Thanks again

Re: Re: Need a Paint code number

That sounds like the best approach. Take a good flat surface into an auto paint store...I hear they can do wonders in matching.

I ended up rubbing out what looked like a section of Okay paint and found a good color sample and have it at the paint shop now. they said it should only take a couple days and they will have the match. If anyone wants the code for the paint I would be glad to give it to you. Just remember I think Merc had 3 or 4 paint suppliers over the years so the color does very a little from year to year

The nerve of some people...Who said we were Experts? I'm just a guy who collects these motors and I want to share what I've learned for the next guy. By the way, there isn't that much information out there on these orphan motors and a guy could go broke trying to buy every manual that promised answers. I've learned lots from others here.
Go lurk somewhere else if you don't like what you read. I can't find a single place in any search on this site where you've contributed anything.

Here's the paint codes Ron uses. This email came directly from Ron. I hope this helps.

The original Wizard green was a cheap, bland color which always faded out. I did my restorations with a two stage Paint called Nason Ful-Cryl ll Acrylic Enamel, also use their thinner. I bought a qt of paint & a qt of thinner, enough to do 3-4 motors, might of also had a hardner to add, dont remember, but think so, comes also when ordering the paint, they will tell you if it is needed. Color is 65 GM Willow Green, has some mettalic in it, much nicer color than the org wizard plain paint but real close in color. Code H Paint I.D. # is: 4633 ID A. I got it thru my local Car Quest parts store.. Paint can be put on in wet coats, I have never had a problem with sagging & I put it on quite heavily, 3-4 coats with a short set up time between coats, dont remember but perhaps 5-10 mins?, with a big spray gun, dries very hard with a super gloss finish.
Good luck
Ronald

Thanks for the paint code. This will come in handy.