Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wizard wd3

I just acquired a wizard wd3, could anyone tell me its value. Its in good to great shape

Re: wizard wd3

You can search for similar posts on the topic, but they typically aren't worth that much. If you have one in nice original shape and it runs, you'd be happy to end up with between $100-200 in your pocket. Price drops off considerably with damage and missing components. But, the price is going to be determined a lot by market conditions and what someone is willing to spend, so any discussion on price is fairly subjective.

Most of us get more enjoyment out of tinkering and rebuilding them, so if you have an inkling to learn about old outboards, you have a fun motor to learn on. But if that is not your thing, you'll be able to find someone to buy it, just don't expect to make too much of it.

If you are interested in learning about old Wizard outboards, the guys here will be happy to help you out.

JP

Thank U jpatti75 merry x-mas!

My pleasure .... Merry Christmas to you, too!

Supply and Demand seem to favor the singles over the
twins...could be one less coil to replace has something to do with that...also one less piston and
rod and they do not require a press to work on.
Just about anyone can find room for a cute LITTLE
outboard even if they don't have a boat. As long as
it shows well and is not going to be used internal
condition is a moot point...if repair is desired
they are easy to work on...parts other than piston
gears and crank can come from a twin, Mechanical work FAR easier and cheaper than a quality cosmetic
refurbishment and/or replacement....think price of
handle grip, decals, gas cap, carburetor knobs,cowl.
and cup over spark plug. A stuck motor with all of
the above is easier to restore than a starts and runs
motor missing the expensive to replace items. A rewind
equipped motor has rewind handle as well.
Be careful how you clean motor...use mild cleaning agents that will NOT fade paint or damage decals
Small motors of this type have done well on ebay in
past IF you are willing to take and post pictures,
pack and ship. Shipment damage is not unknown if not
packed properly. Shipping company will always say
damage was due to improper packing. What something
is worth is always a speculation...what it sells for
is a one time event...the next similar item up for
sale may go higher, lower or not attract a bid.
Louis

WD3 was the 1946 model that was the first model out after WWII. Nice little 3hp motor.

Could you please send me a picture of the motor. I also have the same motor i think.

I have wizard wd-3 ser# 113801 would like to know year and would like to know where to find a steer handle for it. Thanks.

Year of WD3... see tech info on main page this site.
Parts will have to come from a parts motor of which
there are many to choose from.
Louis

I paid $15.00 for this WD3 at a flea market. It was missing the lower end gears, prop, and water pump housing. Ten years later I came across a guy who lives a hundred miles away who had pictures of a k model foot and wanted to know what it went to. I offered to sell him my motor or buy his foot. He gave me the foot for the cost of postage. What a nice guy!!!

beer bottle cap high speed knob:

If you still have this motor. would you be willing to sell the cowling outright? Thanks.

Steve

Thanks, but this is my favorite motor and I'd like to get a spark plug cover to make it more complete. If you look closely at the pictures, I'm still missing a knob that I replaced with a bottle cap. I have thought about using the cowling and trying to cast one or two more for those missing theirs, but I would have to find a way to account for shrinkage in the casting.
-Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your search.

Steve

Brian,

There is a knob for sale on ebay that might be a suitable fix for your missing knob. It is listed under vintage mercury kd3 outboard. Good Luck!

Steve

No