Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wd-4s part motor

I hope it is anyways.just picked it up last night. The serial plate is gone so I dont really know. any tell tell signs of what year? whats the difference between the w-d4 and the s model? any parts interchangeable with my 49 wf-4?like the head. give me a shout if theres any thing I cant use and you can. Im gonna use the pull rope and spring.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

the missing plate

Photobucket

Re: wd-4s part motor

Are there any numbers stamped on the power head?

The only difference with the WD-4S is that it has a recoil pull starter.

I think its md899 with a 1 under the numbers.looking Under the tank is says serial 47-k made in america (of course) eisemann magneto corp. brooklyn new york model 72

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

To the best of my knowledge Wizard and Mercury were
essentially the same thru the KD3,KD3S,KD4 & KD4S and
the WD3,WD3S,WD4 & WD4S year for year and model for model. WF4 and WG4 have little in common with older models...crankcase, drive shaft housing, drive shaft, gas tank, exhaust manifold and more are
unique to WF4/WG4. KE4 and Mark 7 have major changes so little interchange with prior models.
Louis

ifferent

So what about the water jacket on the wf-4? i'm lookin to replace that top one,what ones will work?just the wg-4?what about other internal parts?

Adam the parts list for a Wizard WD4 and WF4 call out the same water jacket

Thats cool,It was my intention to use this jacket on my wf-4.I was making sure because of them plug covers on the wd4 thats not on the wf4

Photobucket

no screw holes. do i have to plug the wd's holes?

Photobucket

I've got the parts list for my wf-4 (thanks Bryan) Any one got the one for the wd-4 so I can cross reference?

....crank,rods,pistons,cylinders,water
jackets,prop,prop shaft,water pump housing assembly,gear case assembly,rubber clutch assembly,
carburetor are same...although some variations with water jackets I have yet to puzzle out...may not fit all applications...1940 models had a rounded water jacket with no provision for spark plug covers
1941 and later have different design water jackets with screw holes tapped 8x32tpi for the spark plug covers...later models where spark plug covers were
not used may have the screw holes tapped, untapped
or with die plugged and no holes.
If you intend to swap in a "new" water jacket compare
with "old" as not every jacket will swap and of course
the upper and lower jackets are not the same although
the upper on a twin is same as single jacket (mostly
anyway)
Part swapping among the various K Models and years
is more often possible than not. If you intend to
swap cylinders I think best to do so as a piston,
rod and cylinder assembly AND with twins both cylinder assemblies unless all the rods and pistons
are identical. Pistons for singles are different
than pistons for twins...NO interchange although
lower cylinder on twin and single will interchange
Cylinders (except for KE4/Mark 7) have two small
exhaust ports and one larger port in middle...
later cylinders with three large exhaust ports
are different...early piston rod assembly will
hit top of cylinder.
Be aware that there are different weight and bearing type rods that may present problems...best to swap
like for like and in pairs to avoid problems.
Keep piston and rods together and watch that bearings
are not lost or mixed.
I got into parts swapping more than most as I am mostly into serious rebuild of stuck and junk motors.
Not everyone goes that route.
Louis

Ok,I did just heat up the old starter spring and bended it back.As far as recoiling it I just attatched the outer end and worked my way in.Before swapping the waterjacket I checked other things (spark,compression,plug gap,ect..) noticed the compression in the top cylinder was pretty low,lower than the bottom,so I decided to dig in to that while I was in there. heres some pics...

wd-4s disassembly

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I did the same to the wf-4

Photobucket
Photobucket

The front two rings were sticking in the grooves. they were real brittle and broke when removed so I swapped them with the ones out of the wd-4s.I also compaired the cylinders side by side.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Then reassimbled the wf-4

Photobucket
Photobucket

slaped the tank on, filled my water tub,and started yanking.Sorry no pics of that lovely experince.lets just say you can tell it wanted to start but wasent. from my experince with mini bikes and go carts it seemed like a stuck valve. so I went in to check the reed valve. due to frustration I don't have pics of the wf-4 but in case some ones tryn to locate it its behind this plate behind the carb

Photobucket

I didnt take it out I just sprayed it down and swabbed it out. there was a hunk of crudd holding the bottom reed open preventing it from closing all the way. cleaned it all out slapped it together.
As you can tell my homemade gaskets are something to be desired but now I know its ok i'll order the gaskets and get in to the lower end. I guess the built in sprinkler means the water pump works.