Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Out and about...

Looked at a Wizard WD4S today...kind of rough, missing a knob, cover, clutch, prop. Coat of brush on black paint. Carburetor, fuel tank and water pump
loosely attached or loose. Did have starter handle
and grip and bra cups.
Question...would you go back and what would you offer...my feeling is seller(dealer) will not accept the most I am willing to offer $25...based upon
exterior I would guess crank is rusted so all that
is there is parts...which are same as Mercury KD4S
Louis

Re: Out and about...

I don't have a lot of experience in these outboards, but I have made offers on other items. I'd offer him something, knowing he will probably want more. Question is whether or not he will want a lot or a little more. If he wants a little more, go for it. You'll have parts you can use or sell. If he says no, you're not out anything. Just my opinion though.

I agree with who10 ... doesn't sound like it is worth much based on condition. Bring a print out of Hunn's price guide for Wizards. HAHAHA!

Offer him the $25. Be nice and leave your card with him if he says no. Doesn't sound like people are going to jump on that one too fast and time may work to your favor. The bra cups alone are worth $30 in my opinion though...Hope you get it.

Follow up on WD4S parts motor...asked price...$75!...
my response...Nope. Not my lucky day.
We were so far apart that I did not see any point
in wasting his time or mine.
May stop by in a few months.
Louis

Yep, I agree Louis. Another one will come your way.

Went out and about Tuesday and acquired a Mercury Mark7 in okay shape (too bad I paid a more than ok
price)...pay for what you see not for what you want
to see...have since taken off rose tinted lenses
and noted some minor problems and one more significant
one...a frost damaged gear case...the type with the
CCW water pump cover...found identical empty
gear case...so my pile of spare parts will be reduced
slightly...when you really look over a motor after
buying and see numverous signs of an unskilled prior
mechanics efforts you know you should have downgraded condition and your offer...as you will have to spend time and money to correct...interestingly the serial number on Mark 7 id plate is in the range reserved for KE4 model. Have heard about these, first I have seen. Will have to work to make this the motor I thought I was buying.
Louis