Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wizard WG4

recently bought a 53 WG4 and it runs well. last time out the spring in the recoil starter broke. any suggestions where one might get a replacement for it?

Re: Wizard WG4

This should be the one you need:

http://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/product_p/24-29340t02.htm

You may want to give them a call first just to verify.

JP

More than likely the spring broke at or near the inner connection. If you are patient and handy with simple tools, you might be able to CAREFULLY unwind the spring, and if it is broken near one end, cut off a little, heat the end half-inch red, let cool slowly, then reshape it to fit. Good luck finding a new one or fixing the old one. JW in Dixie

I'm a clock repairman and I run into broken springs all the time in my work. better to reshape the end while red hot as the ends tend to air harden no matter how slow you try to cool them.

thanks guys for your help. I'll try to cut off and rework the spring...see what happens.
Have really enjoyed the motor. It runs well and seems to start easy. want to get it up and running again.

Dremel tool with fiber disc had no problem cutting
off head of grade 8 bolt so I imagine it will be useful trimming/cutting hardened spring.
New rewind springs will cost more than a donor motor...and you can test rewind very easily.
Be careful with wound spring...
a lot of energy just looking to unwind.
I believe there is an on line Wizard parts manual...
numbers are easily crossed to Mercury parts manual
(also online) so you can find out which motors
share the same spring. Sounds like a lot of work
but it is a lot easier to find something if you
know what you are looking for.
Louis

jpatti75 Is correct! the original part number for the recoil starter spring was W-30-4076 which was later changed to 24-20156. This was later superseded to 24-29340T02 and costs $29.65.
The same recoil starter spring is used on the 9.8Hp Mercury 110.

I just bought the same motor. 1953 WG4. The recoil starter does not work. Did you find a new one for yours, or did you fix the old one?
Stuart email srgarb@comcast.net