Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just bought a boat w/40 hp wizard motor dont know anything about wizard's Help PLEASE

I found this number under the motor cover on a wiring diagram sticker (C7HB-1690) does this number help identify the manufacturer and or the model year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Just bought a boat w/40 hp wizard motor dont know anything about wizard's Help PLEASE

was gonna post a pic but couldnt figure it out any help?

Re: Just bought a boat w/40 hp wizard motor dont know anything about wizard's Help PLEASE

Well, that isn't a model number, but the only Wizards that were ever available in 40HP were those manufactured by McCulloch between 1959 and 1961. I believe McCulloch also marketed these under their own brand name as Flying Scotts (i.e. Scott-McCulloch Outboard Company).

Like any outboard, start with the basics. Check the compression on the cylinders and make sure the readings are within about 5% of each other. If it runs, make sure it is pumping water. Either way, it would probably be good to replace the impeller. If it doesn't run and you have good compression, then take a look at your magneto and carburetor to see what you are up against. If it has sat a long time, the coils are probably cracked and worthless, and the points will probably need to be cleaned up.

Check out the basics and let us know what you find and we can help you move forward.

JP

PS - To post photos, you have to post them to a Photo website (I use Photobucket) and then place the image link in your postings here.

Thanks for the info and i'll try to get photos up in a bit the motor fires right up and runs great its pumping water fine are the parts very hard to find on these motors

http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/tapjr528/?action=view¤t=PTDC0004.jpg

Wow ... looks like a real beauty ... nice find. If it runs well and pumps water, I say leave well enough alone. You may still want to replace the impeller for peace of mind. But if not, just watch it closely. Make sure you are using at minimum 24:1 mix ... probably 16:1 is better.

Parts aren't impossible to find. Ebay is a good source. Also, here is another place to check:

http://web.a-znet.com/~scottguy/

You can see a picture of a "Flying Scott" version of your outboard on that page.

JP

can you tell me where i can find the model and serial # ont this motor i must be blind i cant seem to find it anywhere

I haven't owned a McCulloch, but they are usually on a small plate some where on the transom clamp. Your model number is going to be one of these:

MLM-6940 --- 1959
MLM-6941 --- 1959 Electric Start
MLM-6940A --- 1960 Electric Start
MLM-6941A --- 1960 Electric Start
MLM-6944A --- 1961
MLM-6945A --- 1961

Not sure why there are multiple model numbers within a year, other than possibly a modification or a separate production run designation.

JP