Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
15 HP Wizard

I have a 15 HP Wizard that I am starting to restore. Can any one recommend a place to find parts? I am also searching for a manual, I think the engine is from early 1950's. Thanks for any help.

Re: 15 HP Wizard

Wizard changed suppliers of outboard motors in mid to
late 1950's so first order of business is to determine
which company made your motor. Serial and Model
number from plate on (usually clamp saddle area)
will give the needed information. Usually the Wizard
is similar or identical to a branded model made by supplier. With model and serial number and suppler
known we can try to steer you toward possible sources of needed items. Usually a long stored outboard has
some issues...glazed ignition points, deteriorated ignition wire, impeller long past its best by date and residue of fuel. You pretty much have to be your own mechanic as most shops and mechanics shy away
from working on antiques. Most old outboards are
pretty basic so do it yourself repairs by a determined owner/operator not all that difficult.
Never hurts to look motor over carefully first to see
if there deal breaker issues...
Louis

Louis-
Thanks for the information. I did a bit more research and think it was actually made by Oliver, who made only 2 versions of a 15 HP motor. I saw a reference to OC-1575 or OC-1585. The only numbers I found on the block is 494259 (with a mark after that which could be a number) but that doesn't match up any Oliver numbers I can find. At any rate, hours of yanking on the cord resulted in one or two coughs which sounded like it wants to fire but nothing else. Compression is good but I think the spark is tired. Not to mention lots of blisters on my hand...

Have you tried the Oliver site? Might find out a little more there. Western Auto parted ways with
Kiekhaefer about 1957. Western Auto then had motors
from Oliver, McCulloch, West Bend/Chrysler and probably Eska also(everyone else sold them)
Louis