Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cracked Coils

I assume that the common cracks that show up in coil casings are a for sure indication that the coil is "dead" but I was just curious to know if anyone had ever had any success at repairing these cracks with epoxy or some other sealing agent and actually putting one back in service. With a new Scintilla coil running $50.00, Points at $25.00 and a condensor running $10.00, unless the next motor I restore is free, I think I'll pay a little more and get one that's at least running. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it because no one else would believe me.

Re: Cracked Coils

Hi Gary,

I am not sure of your price limit, but I just bought a pair of Scintilla coils and condensers (no one makes the points anymore) for $85 total (including shipping) from Jim Judkins (oldoutboardjim@hotmail.com).

I have heard of guys having some success in repairing coils with epoxy on old OMC coils (pre-universal magneto), but have never tried it myself. I would recommend doing an Ohms test on the coils and if you get a decent enough reading, you might want to consider re-coating them. But if they are toast, I wouldn't bother. Just my $0.02. You may want to ask the question on the AOMCI.org "Ask A Member" board for a wider range of opinions.

JP

Hey jpatti,
I wanted to thank you again for giving me Doug Penn's contact info. He not only had a good replacement gear case for my WD3S, he's practically dropping it off on my door step on his way to Florida in a couple of weeks!...can't ask for better service than that. On the coils, you're right. An OHM test is the only sure way to know if it's any good or not and although mine has the cracks, it tested good so I just figured I would seal the cracks with JB Weld and reinstall it. If the rest of the motor proves to be O.K. after I get it running, then that will justify the expense of replacing it if and when I need one later. Thanks also for dropping Jim Judkins name and info into the mix, if he's more reasonable than the suppliers I've gotten prices from, then I'll probably make the purchase anyway.
Thanks a bunch,
Gary

Glad to hear it, Gary.

I think Doug will be stopping by my place on his way down I-95 to Florida, too. If you see a Mark 15 and a Mark 20 in his pick-up, those are for me. He is a great guy!

Best,
JP

Hey jpatti,
He sure is. I hope we have an opportunity to chat awhile or hook up over a cup of coffee. I'm trying hard to buy something else from him just to help make his stop more productive. By the way, Jim Judkins has the coil I need and he is the most reasonable. The coil with a new condensor and shipping is $50.00 which no one else can touch. I owe you another big thanks for passing that point of contact on...thank you, I appreciate it.

Gary

You will probably have your motors in hand by the time Jim gets to me, I'm in Florida and he will be on US 301 at that point.

You're right, Gary. I'm outside of DC, and so Doug will only be about halfway to you. Hopefully you'll get a chance to chat with Doug. He's a wealth of knowledge. He loves OMCs, but when he was younger he used to race Mercurys.

jpatti,
Man, you folks have been hammered with snow this year. I think Doug's headed his way just to get out of it for awhile. Speaking of dropping off motors, I'm trying to decide on a '58 Oliver that he has. My main concern is finding a remote fuel tank for it and I'm wondering if by chance that since Oliver made the '58 and '59 Wizards, maybe someone that frequents this site might have a Wizard tank from the same years that they might part with. Doug will be heading down here the week of the 15th so not much time.

Gary

Gary,

If you can't find and Oliver or Wiz tank, you should be able to just use a standard tank that is sold every where. The Oliver should have a fuel pump (you shouldn't need a pressure system), so all you need is the fuel connector to hook the tank up to the motor. Try this website if Doug doesn't have one:

http://www.pfs-ware.com/Parts/OllieParts.htm

The Olivers are sharp looking motors. Are you looking at one of the 16HP models Doug has?

JP

Hey J,
Actually I'm looking at a J4 that he recently found just 5 miles from where he lives. You're right about the tank and I can adapt any single line fuel tank to work but would like to eventually run across an original tank (Wizard or Oliver) just to stay period correct. Doug's currently checking to see if he has a fuel connector for the motor and hopefully he does as it will cost $25.00 to get one from Dick at the Oliver Parts site. I'd love to get one of those 16 H.P. motors that Doug has but they're both locked up.