Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Identifying my Wizard

I purchased an outboard motor 2 years ago from an older gentleman who had this motor sitting on a motor stand in his outbuilding. I took it home gassed it up and it ran like a champ. My problem is actually identifying the outboard. It is a faded Wizard green and has the very faint remnants of the Wizard sticker. I need to find out what hp this outboard is.
It is a short shaft and after using a few times on the back of my Gheenoe I assumed it was at least a 9hp. I have pictures of the outboard and I can get the info from the id plate. Can anyone help me identify my outboard and give me info on manuals and maintenance, etc.......any information would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, B

Re: Identifying my Wizard

Well, since it is faded green, you have a Wizard made by Mercury prior to 1958. They were made available in a variety of horsepowers during their years of production. If you locate the model number on the plate on the exhaust leg, we can tell you the HP and the year as well as where to look for parts.

JP

the outboard is at my Vermont home I will be traveling there tomorrow and I can't get the info from the plate so you can help me identify the exact model and maybe help me with operating and maintenance. Any and all info you can provide would be most appreciated. Since the decals were so faded or almost nonexistent getting it started was trial and error but once I got it running it ran strong. I would just like to know the proper operation and maintenance so I can keep it running for years to come. Thanks again, Barry

We'll be happy to help you figure out what you have. Let us know when you have that model number and we'll hopefully get you off to a good start. Right now, if you get it started, you want to make sure it is pumping water (i.e. water coming out the exhaust ports on the exhaust back leg). If it isn't pumping water ... shut it down immediately, as your water pump impeller is likely shot and if it isn't pumping water you can burn out the powerhead and the motor will be toast. Also, make sure you are mixing your gas and oil at 24:1 at minimum. If it is a 1940's motor, it may require 16:1.

If it has been sitting for a while, a good break down and cleaning of the carburetor would be good. Anyway, once we have a better idea of what you have, we can better advise on how to proceed. If you have symptons of poor running, lets us know so we can troubleshoot with you. Also, if you're model plate is missing, post a picture.

JP

my 3 1/2 hp Wizard Model Number is WBA6503A56 Sn# 1194. I need to know the year and where to get parts. So far the only part I need is the rubber gasket on the glass cup. Thanks