Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3.0 wizard gas mix ratio

What is the oil mix ratio for this motor. Thanks

Re: 3.0 wizard gas mix ratio

James,

We need a model number to determine which company manufactured your motor and what year it was produced. That will help determine the fuel mix and how to drop your lower unit.

JP

16:1 is a good safe bet on any old 2-cycle machinery if the fuel:oil ratio is unknown.

Oil has gotten a whole lot better over the years and you could probably get away with a mix as high as 32:1 with no ill effects. I use 32:1 in every 2-cycle engine I own and have never had a problem due to poor lubrication nor has my father before me. If you're a worrier, too much oil is always better for an antique engine but not good if you're prone to hugging trees.

Make sure you use good oil made for 2 cycle engines. Use tw3 for water cooled engines and tw for air cooled engines. I am told that tw can be used in water cooled stuff but tw3 should not be used in air cooled engines as the lubricating properties are not as good at the higher temperatures .

Bryan Smith
Use tw3 for water cooled engines and tw for air cooled engines. I am told that tw can be used in water cooled stuff but tw3 should not be used in air cooled engines as the lubricating properties are not as good at the higher temperatures .

Sorry...I can be an idiot at times...

It should have read:

Use TC-W3 or TCW3 for water cooled engines and TC for air cooled engines. I am told that TC can be used in water cooled stuff but TCW3 should not be used in air cooled engines as the lubricating properties are not as good at the higher temperatures. (You could probably get away with it in a pinch.)

TCW3 = two cycle water cooled formulation #3
TC = two cycle

I'd stick to brands formulated for at least 50:1 ratios and mix it to your likes. I'd avoid the generic oil brands like Walmart and what you'd find at the Dollar store if you want your equipment to last.

Actually, if I can find the thread i'll post it, but the Walmart brand oil is actually the exact same formula, right down to the last molecule, as Shell oil. Probably still avoid the dollar store stuff.

Hmmmmmm...very interesting. I should have just said to be wary of generic oil.
-Bryan