Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hot motor

I got my wg4 running but i,m not sure how this motors cooling system works, when motor is running there is no water coming out of pee hose but a little exhaust and gas come out ,is this normal?

Re: hot motor

Is there water coming out of the cooling water discharge holes on the back of the exhaust leg? The small tube off the the powerhead is only for excess oil exhaust...it's not a water pee-hole. But, if you aren't getting water pumping out of the exhaust leg, your water pump impeller is probably toast. Stop the motor immediately if that is the case and replace the impeller. Make sure when you are testing the motor you have it in a deep enough barrel of water to make sure it is able to take in water enough water for the pump to do its job. I would recommend making sure at least half of the exhaust leg is submerged.

Good luck!
JP

could you tell me where I will find impellor on the motor and if it is toast like I suspect,there is no water coming out of exhaust, where can I find a replacement,also lower unit sounds noisey. Will I be able to repair this thing cost effectively or am I getting into a money pit.Thanks for advice Jerry

Jerry,

The impellers are fairly cheap. You can get one at:

http://www.eastcoastmarineservice.com/kd4.html (note: the WG4 is based on Mercury's KD4, so most parts are interchangeable).

Now, the lower unit should be filled with Lubriplate 105 grease. It should not be noisy. Ensure that it has grease and not conventional oil in it. If you drain it and see a lot of water come out, you could have significant gear damage. Mercury lower units can be difficult to work on, and replacements can be pricey if it is toast.

So, given that, I would recommend figuring out the extent of your Lower unit issues. If significant, then you you might consider not dropping a lot of money in it. If it is okay and it does start, then it might just be as simple as replacing an impeller and fresh lower unit grease to get you up and running.

Just my thoughts. If the lower unit is toast, you could try to track down a used replacement. But, set a dollar limit you want to spend on this thing. Keep in mind that it probably isn't worth more than $100 (roughly).

Good luck!
JP