Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MY old wd4s

I enjoyed viewing your grandfather's motor and your progress with it.
I decided to add my thoughts on oil, as I grew up in my family's marine business which started in 1951 primarily dealing in Mercury products these 58 years. The benefit of using additional oil may be helpful with a motor as old and idle for as long as is usually the case here, but outboard oil has greatly improved in 60 years (and the original oils that were recommended long out of production). Long term I feel that a decarboning agent must be induced into the motor periodically with a 16 to 1 ratio. With all but the earliest Mercury products, the powerheads feature hardened crankshafts and connecting rods using ball, needle, and roller bearings versus bushing bearings in most other brands. Mercury began recommending the use of their 50 to 1 ratio oil back in the sixies. Some/many of the outboards on this board may have rust pitted crank and piston pin surfaces, and additional oil may allow them to live awhile, but we have seen more failure long term from too much oil sticking the piston rings. To sum-up: if running a 16 to 1 ratio, do use a product such as Mercury's Power Tune maybe once a year, or if the internal surface are truly known to be in good condition, I feel a 50 to 1/25 to 1 ratio more suitable if a very high quality oil is used such as Mercury/Quicksilver Premium Plus.
To throw our hat into the ring, we do have at least one of several of the lower unit parts for this motor in new old stock inventory per our factory parts manual such as:
Water Pump Housing
Gasket for above
Screws for above
Propeller Shaft
Propeller Gear
Impeller Drive Hub
Propeller Clutch Assembly
Propeller Absorber
Propeller Nut & Washer

Regards,
Joe Poole, Jr.
Ferguson-Poole, Inc.
(770) 597-5992 Cell
jdpjratlanta@msn.com

Joe, thank you for the mix info.I will definitely keep you guys in mind when I need some more parts...-Jay

well I cleaned some more on the old motor and found some gold paint on it in some areas...I had bought some jade green and aluminum for the assembly of the motor, but now think I need some gold paint also.most of the color pics I am finding of this type of motor show it in dull aluminum.

I chose the jade due to the riveted wizard tag was green and the prop was green so I figured all accents were green. Well I was wrong. Does anyone know if the original prop was gold, if so I think this motor may go back as a gold accents and aluminum main body. If the prop was green I guess I could go with aluminum body and jade green accents for now.......Guess it really don't matter, but want it to look as "original" as I can. I can always repaint it at any time.

I often do not have time to visit here everyday, but in seeing your paint question, I will mention that according to our parts manual that the propeller nut is suppose to be a fine thread "acorn" style rather than the one pictured. I am weak on motors this old, but the propeller may not be original, nor the propeller nut or even the propeller shaft. Louis seems to have the most current knowledge of anyone I have spoken with. As he states, many changes occurred (this is only the third year of normal production), so your parts may be original, but it is easy to damage a propeller, so maybe I am onto something (possibly explaining the paint motif).

well my goodies came in today and I put the old girl together sort of.....

the parts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

so I went out side and put the parts to use.

I reassembled the water pump and installed old prop.(hands were greasy so no assembly pics sorry)

just a pic of the done assembly.

Photobucket

I then removed lower cylinder cover and jug.

the rings were stuck on this piston also.
I loosened and got them freed up.....Now for my (1st)huge mistake. I have not worked on a two stroke before but some friends I have had. I posed the question about the gap in the piston rings, and do they need to be staggered because I noticed that these did not seem to be.They told me yes to stagger them And so I did. . So when I tightened the rings down with hose clamps (all 3 on each piston) I snapped some rings(will order new ones soon) I broke one on the lower cylinder and two on the upper cylinder.

I have since found a raised area in the piston groove that seems to align the piston rings so i then aligned the good piston rings with them (located at top of piston)
Being that I have not heard this motor actually run (just heard it sputter originally)I went ahead and assembled the motor anyways with broken rings removed.

I centered the one good ring in upper cylinder piston groove, and put the pair of good rings in the outer grooves in lower cylinder (this might be my next problem, but don't know yet.)

open cylinders

Photobucket

Photobucket

here are the jugs reassembled

Photobucket

Photobucket

I will have to post pics later of the completed assembly. It got to dark to take any more pics,and I was on a mission tonight, even though I might be to eagier. I will have to tear it back apart to repair the piston rings....I just needed to hear it run and have it prove to me that I should put more money in it.....

So after assembly and a fuel restriction taken care of,I got the thing to run on it's own.

I have noticed that it likes to only start/run in high (which I would not allow it to run more than 2 sec in that position do to it being the first start ups in 20-30 yrs)the first 4 times, but then it would

would start to start/run at lower rpms which then I allowed it to run until IT died on it's own,or I would fiddle with the advance. I believe the longest it would stay running was @ 20 sec then I shut it down...

I have fuel leaking from the tank(witch is a two piece unit)Any one got some suggestions on the type of material I should use to reseal the joint were the upper and lower halves meet? Right now it is some type of reddish/orange rubber type stuff that is very hard and brittle(sharp also).

I noticed water pouring/shooting out of the lower section port side cooler? there is a hole near the crank area.I guess that is the stream I am supposed to see when all is good? I thought it would of came out the slits that were cut in that near area, but it seems to steadily shoot out of that circular area and straight down the exhaust leg. Hope that is what is supposed to happen. The reason I ask is because with as little running I gave the motor it seemed to get very warm at the water cooler towers? and the cylinders that cover the cylinder jugs. Hotter than I thought it should be, I don't know though for sure.

any how I left it for now until day light and anyhow it needs those rings....But it does/will run as is, just not well.

I would aprecieate any advice, I know i will probly will get some flak about the rings, but I hope some will under stand why I needed to hear this motor run.

as always thanks for looking....-Jay

well Thanks to Joe I got the stuff to make the old girl run, I ran it many times today until the fuel was used up.By the way after using the motor the fuel tank seems to be sealing up,I guess do to the heat and fuel.

some pics of the motor before the new rings were found (again thanks Joe and it was a pleasure talking to you.)

first run in the morning with half the rings installed

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and some video of running half compression...

then I got some new rings and ran her again until I ran out of fuel...which took all day... .

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and a video of the final run before i put her up...

her final resting position after she ran out of fuel...
Photobucket

when you see my arm and hand touching the cylinder section I was trying to show that the cylinder was running cool enough to touch...now once motor died it warmed up pretty quick...hopefully this is normal.

the motor seems to run a little sloppy (like it needs bearings for the crank...So I do not know were to go from here...I do have another motor available to me from my other grandfather, but this has been a GREAT learning experience and I probably will run the wd4s until she gives.....I will keep you informed on the progress/degrees of this out board, and as always keep the comments coming..sorry the video quality is so poor but it is what I had at the time...thanks for looking..

I did paint the spark plug covers green to match the prop, but thanks to jpattie I have seen the original paint scheme , and I could not paint it that color...good for a restore motor, but gold is not my thing.So it may stay as is or aluminum color...sorry to offend purest, but I think it looks good as is or with a fresh coat of dull aluminim... just my opionion....again thanks jpattie for the original pic....wish I liked it..

Jay-

Some fine work on that motor!!! I'm sure your grandfather would be proud.

As far as cosmetics, you should do what you want. The true Mercs were dull aluminum, so it wouldn't be "shocking" to see one that way.

Glad Joe Poole had the parts you needed. Lots of good guys out there to help you get these things running. I'm sure this has been a valuable learning experience for you. I know I learn something new every motor I tackle.

Now, have fun with it!
JP

well finally got her on the water. Had a blast, not the fastest thing out there, but I bet I had the oldest out board. When I took it out to load it up in the truck,some guys came up and helped me....they thought that it was awesome that I was running a 1947 wizard out board...made me proud. The thing ran with no problems or issues. I put 1 gallon of fuel in it and it ran me all around the lake. now for some pics.

getting the motor on the old elgin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and some video (quality is poor but you should get the just of it) woman was impressed also, not speed wise, but that all it did was run....cold start took three pulls. after that fired up on first pull....It was great.

thanks for all the help and support that I have found here. this is a great site. hope y'all have enjoyed the ride as much as me.--Jay

Jay-

You really did some fine work and it sounds like you had a lot of fun in the process. Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress throughout -- the pictures and videos are great. We don't often get to hear about peoples results, and so it was a blast reading about everything you tackled. You should get many years of fun out of the motor. If you decide to tackle the cosmetics, someone just posted the sale of some vinyl decals.

Enjoy yourself using that motor. I am sure your grandfather would be proud!!

Best,
JP

The weather here (San Antonio Tx) has been great this weekend,so I clamped the old outboard to the old tin and took them out to the river.After @20-30 mins of tinkering around with the old girl,I got it to run pretty good. Here some poor quality vids(cell phone)

hope everyone has a good spring run with there old iron.

getting it ready at home

on the water