Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WH6 help

I need help getting to the water pump and impeller. Im assuming that the impeller needs to be replaced seeing that the motor hasn't seen water in 18 years. I made the mistake of running it yesterday without checking that first. On a lighter note All I did was mix up some gas pulled the spark plugs shot some starting fluid in there pulled the cord twice and she started right up.

Now back to the impeller. Ive got the lower unit off but how does the next section of the motor come off?

Re: WH6 help

Hmmm...I'm confused. If you dropped the lower unit, you should see the water pump. Did you pull off the whole lower leg, meaning with the exhaust housing? If so, you need to remove the bolts down at the gear case to separate it from the exhaust leg. If my description doesn't make sense, post a picture and we can figure out what you have done so far.

JP

As best as I can describe it as the whole lower leg from the mount is in three sections. I got the bottom section off with the gear case. My question to you is the water pump assembly is in the lower drive shaft assembly. Part number 30 in this parts list.

http://pub9.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?usernum=737212788&album=49522#bn-photocenter-1-1-737212788/49522/2/116563/

If you remove 30 from 1, you can see the top of 22 when you look down into 30.#27 runs inside 22. 22 are delicate castings and are normally fragile so be very careful as they have become harder to find and get more expensive as the supply shrinks. Be careful you don't loose 28.
I hope the above is helpful. I hope it's all correct too so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, Lurewasher, is lurewashing what we do when we're fishin but not catchin?

Bob thats exactly what it means.

My question is how do I separate 30 from 1? It will pull apart but only so far and it feels like its attached to a spring of sorts.

L.W.-

I think I know what you are talking about now. My guess is that what is holding them together is just the neutral clutch spring. If you have all of the bolts out, just give it a good tug and the neutral clutch spring will pull off from one of the halves. They are meant to fit on there snuggly, and so it may actually feel like it is bolted on.

JP

Does the neutral wire that runs to the top of the motor need to be disconnected too? I just don't remember as it has been years since I worked on a Mk5.

yes it does need to be disconnected.