Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new owner of a 68-69 9.2hp any help appreciated

its nice to see this web site, as all know how hard it is to find info on these motors, but a true testament of how well they were made to continue running. if anyone can help me out as far as lower unit lube(what kind),normal compression readings, correct type of spark plug, or most of all fuel ratio and which oil. any info would be greatly appreciated. it is chrysler made mod#coc6609a96 ser.#1448
thank you
BHD

Re: new owner of a 68-69 9.2hp any help appreciated

BHD,

Although I haven't owned a Chrysler outboard, I have heard good things about them. By that year, most outboards were running 50:1 fuel mixture, and I would recommend using a TCW3 grade 2-stroke oil. I think only some of the air-cooled outboards, like the Eskas, were an exception by that point. Also, a conventional lower unit lube should be fine (check with you local marine store). 120 PSI would be a the ideal compression rating, but it will probably run just fine on at least 85 to 90 PSI for each cylinder...you just don't want a significant difference between the two. The Champion spark plug for that powerhead is an RJ12C gapped at .030.

Perhaps someone with more Chrysler experience will jump in, but this should hopefully get you off to a good start.

JP

i appreciate the info greatly.

Re: Re: new owner of a 68-69 9.2hp any help appreciated

Anytime! Let us know when you get it up and running. Don't often get to hear the status reports.

Best regards,
JP

thank you for the info, i got the new plugs, got it out on the lake, and it ran great! i have a few more questions if you will entertain me. is 8.6-9 mph normal for this motor on a 14' flat bottom jon boat w/ approx. 400# of people and gear? and the repair parts catalog states the gear housing should get non-corrosive leaded gear oil-ep90, when i bought it the previous owner filled it with grease from a grease gun(auto purpose i'm guessing). do i use the grease or do i flush it out and use a regular lower unit 85w90 gear oil? the markings stamped above the fill hole say "grease fill"
thank you again
still loving my purchase, just a basic no pollution control/electronic crap motor

BHG-

That's great news! A couple things to consider. First, if the LU says grease than I guess that is what is appropriate for that model (I've not owned a Chrysler. Most full gear shift models use oil. You'll find that some of the old direct-drive motors (the true antiques) were prone to leaking and many guys use Lubriplate 105 grease in these units to protect them from water damage (I have grease in my '49 Sea King). Had it not said use grease, I would have guessed someone used grease in place of oil to hide or ignore a problem with a bad LU seal. But, when you do what the manufacturer recommends, you usually can't go wrong.

Your MPH does seem a bit low. I would expect around 15 mph for that size motor and boat combo. Make sure the motor tilt is set properly, It should be set at approximately a 12 degree angle out from the transom of the boat. Also, check the high-speed needle on the carburetor. It could be running a little bit rich, which would affect performance. If you aren't having any other performance issues, these would be good starting points to check. If it is missing, running rough, the carb may need a good cleaning/rebuild...which may not be a bad idea anyway. Hopefully some of the other guys will have some suggestions, as there are other issues that could be at play.

The best thing is that it runs. Hopefully a little bit of tweaking will get it to perform at it's prime.

Congrats!! I love getting this old things running. It's even better when you can show-up the guys with their fancy new 4-strokes!

JP

i'll try that on the carb adjustment. is that also called the main adjustment screw pt.#013258? seems like the only other one is the idle adjustment screw. grease has apparantly worked before so i'll go with your suggestion and stay with it. i appreciate all the help and will let you know how things are going. also if anyone is looking for the replacement parts catalog for the 9.2 hp mod.#coc6609a96 i'll make you a copy of mine and send it to you. just e-mail sarasotapoolcare@yahoo.com
thank you
BHD

BHD,

Yep, the main adjustment should be your high-speed needle. Get it running for a little bit at wide-open and then start to adjust the needle in quarter turn, counter-clockwise increments (again, while wide-open). Once it starts "sneezing", bring it back clockwise one-quarter turn, and you should be at the optimal setting. When in doubt, stay just slightly on the rich side, as too lean a mixture can lead to damage. Once you have the highspeed set well, bring it back down to idle and see how it runs. If fine, leave it alone. If rough, run through the same process (at idle speed this time) with the idle needle.

Let us know how it goes.

JP

jpatti,

Is the 68,69,70 Wizard 9.2 all the same basicly? If so I noticed that you sent an emailed copy of the owners manual to help out another owner, could you do the same for me?

Thanks

scanners broke, if you send me a physical address i can send it to you. i do believe all the 9.2's are the same, i know chrysler made this one and sold it through western auto

Chris Montgomery
193 Arka Valley Rd
Greenbrier, AR 72058

You are worth a million dollars!!! This will help me tremendously. Do you know where I can get a prop for this motor? Is there any motor that is interchangeable for this year model?

Thanks,
Chris

I'd check Michigan Wheel
Didn't buy one yet but was told they would have it

Anytime! Let us know when you get it up and running. Don't often get to hear the status reports.