Return to Website

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum

Welcome to the new Wizard Outboard Forum.

Wizard Outboard Motor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
point setting for a wizard wh6

I just got a wizard wh6 and have no idea what the point should be set at. can anyone fill me in. also what would be the best fuel mix ratio? 50:1?
Thanks

Re: point setting for a wizard wh6

Bob-

The point setting is .018 for the WH6. As far as the oil, 24:1 with TCW3....she'll fry at 50:1 (that mix wasn't used until well into the 1960s on most outboards). Use Lubriplate 105 grease in the lower unit, as the new conventional lower unit oils are not the right viscosity. I am working on a WH6, as well (it is a bear, if your haven't figured that out), and so drop me a line if you have more questions. I have a network of guys that help me out.

JP

Thanks I will keep that in mind. There is a red push knob on the right,could you tell me what that is for?
I just got this motor today. so far #1 cyl. has spark but #2 does not. will have to try too clean and reset points. have you found a manual for it yet or parts list?
Thanks
Bob

Bob-

The model Wizard/Mercurys have what is called a neutral clutch...the red Button is to place it into neutral (it is connected to a cable that disengages the prop and drive shafts). When starting it, you should have it in neutral (red button pushed in), which will limit how far you can turn the tiller. Once it is started and you are ready to cruise, you hit the black button, which triggers a spring action to take it out of neutral.

The WH6s are the same as the Mercury Mark 6s. You can get parts and info at:

http://www.eastcoastmarineservice.com/Mark6.html

If you get a Mark 6 manual, it will do the trick. I have also assembled parts diagrams and tune-up specs that I will send you if you e-mail me at the address included, which may save you the need to buy a manual. There are plenty of parts available at East Coast Marine. I, too, have bad compression on a cylinder (about 75 psi), but these things are such a pain to work on, that I am debating as to whether or not I want to open it up to inspect/replace the piston rings at this time. A week ago, I replaced the impeller, and realigning the drive and crank shafts will test the patience of a saint (which I am not).

Good luck...and holler back if you need anything!

JP