Romance Reviews Today

Romances Reviews Today message boards are for the use of our readers to discuss books, reviews or the weather.

Romance Reviews Today
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Book of the Year so far?

I thought I would do what Terrie asked and post here. First time here!

Anyway, as we approach six months into 2005, does anyone have any contenders for best book of the first half of 2005?
Mine would have to be DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS by Julie Leto, which I reviewed recently and loved!

Gotta love those kick butt heroines.

Patti

Re: Best Book of the Year so far?

So far, for me, The Devil to Pay by Liz Carlyle. A simple story line, but great characters that really grabbed me.

Oh Good question Patti. Shoot, Brenda Novak's COLD FEET was excellent, and I absolutely adored Linda Howards TO DIE FOR -- so much fun to read. I've been enjoying Cyndi Friberg's Fantasy/Sci Fi romance series from Loose ID -- Oh another great one I've rea this year id DEADLY ILLUSIONS by Brenda Joyce, I just LOVE this series. Maggie Shayne's BLUE TWILIGHT was one of my favorite so far this year, Susan Wiggs, TALBE FOR FIVE was an excellent read as was Susan Sizemore's I HUNGER FOR YOU. (love that series!)

Of all that I've read this year probably my top three are COLD FEET by Brenda Novak, TO DIE FOR by Linda Howard and BLUE TWILIGHT by Maggie Shayne. It would be hard to pick my favorite among those three...and all of those mentioned in this post are excellent.

Re: Re: Best Book of the Year so far?

I thought about TO DIE FOR by Linda Howard, but wasn't sure if that is considered a 2004 or 2005 release. Definitely my book of the year for best "first person" narrative.
Someone asked me once how can you like those written in first person. My response was that a well written story makes you forget it's in first person.

Patti,
I agree completely. I used to say, "oh I hate first person" but if it's done well, now it's one of my favorites types of books. The key is liking the character doing the talking. Many of my favorite books are written in first person, such as the Anita Blake series from LKH and the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire mysteries by Charlaine Harris. Love them and they just wouldn't be the same if Anita and Sookie weren't telling the tale. As for the Howard I think it's a 2005 but can't remember off the top of my head -- and since I should be stocking bookshelves and not playing on the internet, I don't have time to look it up.

Terrie

Re: Best Book of the Year so far? Liz Carlyle

Jani,
Liz Carlyle always gets an A in my personal log. She can really move a reader with her characters.

For me it would be The Frog Prince by Jane Porter which addresses relationship issues, i.e. husband/wife, divorce, mother/daughter, boss/co-workers, etc. It's an incredible read and has received excellent reviews. You can read more about the book on the authors website www.janeporter.com

And Maggie Shayne does it again -- DARKER THAN MIDNIGHT is now on my list of Best RS of the Year. Man she's awesome! I loved her paranormal vampire series and can't wait for the next one -- but her romantic suspense beginning with GINGERBREAD MAN and THICKER THAN WATER, COLDER THAN ICE and now DARKER THAN MIDNIGHT totally blow me away. Truly spectacular RS!

Terrie