Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Indian Crow Dying

Yes this definately works , make sure that you have your dye to the correct balance ( or near enough) before adding the vinegar, make sure that you have enough holes in the container that your feathers will be in. Check often, as if you go too dark, I don't know of a remedy to lighten it up!!!Look at the back of the quill as this will be near the colour when the feather is dry and keep your feathers under the boil, as this could soften them too much, if they are boiled.. When I dry them, I use an old mirror and stick them on and dry them with my wifes hair dryer, again don't over do the heat when you are drying them !!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am about to try the two-part dying technique (outlined by Michael Radencich in his book on Salmon Flies) for simulating Indian Crow. I have plucked several skins of their white "ring" feathers and will try this over the holiday weekend. Has anyone tried(or familiar with)this technique? Any thoughts, or other alternative suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Re: Indian Crow Dying

Thanks for the reply. I like the mirror tip for drying!

Replying to:

Yes this definately works , make sure that you have your dye to the correct balance ( or near enough) before adding the vinegar, make sure that you have enough holes in the container that your feathers will be in. Check often, as if you go too dark, I don't know of a remedy to lighten it up!!!Look at the back of the quill as this will be near the colour when the feather is dry and keep your feathers under the boil, as this could soften them too much, if they are boiled.. When I dry them, I use an old mirror and stick them on and dry them with my wifes hair dryer, again don't over do the heat when you are drying them !!!

Replying to:

I am about to try the two-part dying technique (outlined by Michael Radencich in his book on Salmon Flies) for simulating Indian Crow. I have plucked several skins of their white "ring" feathers and will try this over the holiday weekend. Has anyone tried(or familiar with)this technique? Any thoughts, or other alternative suggestions? Thanks!