Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello from Scottish Fly Fisher

Hi

My wife works at Psyche Reseacrh at IUPUI your wofe gave my wife your web address to let me have a look.

I moved to Indy from the Highlands of Scotland in April, I have been fly fishing since I was a boy and now 33 years old. I have only gone fishing a few times here though I don't know where I am going half the time, I have been catching Blue Gills on gold bead head nymphs, two types in particular, pheasant tail nymph and hares ear nymph. I know nothing about american flies but am very familiar with most of the traditional scottish patterns, my favourites being the Dunkeld, Teal Blue and Silver, The Butcher, Loch Ordy, Bibio, Kate McLaren etc etc....

In Scotland I mostly fished the rivers and lochs in Caithness and my favourite river and possibly one of the greatest rivers in Scotland the Naver in Sutherland where I fished for Salmon, Brown Trout and Sea Trout, the best fly on this river is the Dunkeld, and I would find it hard to believe the Dunkeld would not do well over in the States as well, its a beautiful fly.

I used to tie flys but haven't done so for years, have tied trout flies and salmon tubes with stoats tail etc..

Would like to know of places close by I can go for a cast. I took only my shakespeare 9ft rod with me but will be looking to buy another while I am here, I always fancied a penn rod but too expensive in the UK, also left my waders at home, to much of a pain to carry

Tight Lines

Re: Hello from Scottish Fly Fisher

http://www.bowside.co.uk/torresdale_cb.jpg

that URL is a picture of my favourite fishing spot

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi

My wife works at Psyche Reseacrh at IUPUI your wofe gave my wife your web address to let me have a look.

I moved to Indy from the Highlands of Scotland in April, I have been fly fishing since I was a boy and now 33 years old. I have only gone fishing a few times here though I don't know where I am going half the time, I have been catching Blue Gills on gold bead head nymphs, two types in particular, pheasant tail nymph and hares ear nymph. I know nothing about american flies but am very familiar with most of the traditional scottish patterns, my favourites being the Dunkeld, Teal Blue and Silver, The Butcher, Loch Ordy, Bibio, Kate McLaren etc etc....

In Scotland I mostly fished the rivers and lochs in Caithness and my favourite river and possibly one of the greatest rivers in Scotland the Naver in Sutherland where I fished for Salmon, Brown Trout and Sea Trout, the best fly on this river is the Dunkeld, and I would find it hard to believe the Dunkeld would not do well over in the States as well, its a beautiful fly.

I used to tie flys but haven't done so for years, have tied trout flies and salmon tubes with stoats tail etc..

Would like to know of places close by I can go for a cast. I took only my shakespeare 9ft rod with me but will be looking to buy another while I am here, I always fancied a penn rod but too expensive in the UK, also left my waders at home, to much of a pain to carry

Tight Lines

Re: Re: Hello from Scottish Fly Fisher

Hello JC

My sister has lived in Scotland for many years and I have visited several times, wetting a line on occasion. I will say that fishing in Scotland and fishing the Great Lakes area of the USA are two very different things, as far as patterns and techniques go. I live in Michigan, your neighbor to the north. You will find that Lakes Michigan and Huron are much like inland seas, with big trout and salmon that grow in the lakes, then run the rivers to spawn. Indiana's St. Joseph river holds runs of fish, but you will probably do better here in Michigan, where virtually every river has runs of Chinook (King) salmon up to 30+ lbs., coho (silver) salmon up to 15+ lbs., and Steelhead (our equivalent to Scottish sea trout)up to 20+ lbs. Salmon run the rivers late August through October. Steelhead run many rivers beginning in late October, through the winter, with the biggest runs in March and April. Tactics are different from U.K angling, however, generally using split shot to get the fly deep and bouncing egg and nymph patterns on the bottom of runs and pools. Traditional U.K. salmon and sea trout flies and techniques will only work on fish who are fresh from the lake and have only spent a few days in the river, and it is hard to time that right, with the weather being so variable. If you want Atlantic salmon (the same as your Scottish salmon), your best bet is to head way up to the St. Mary's river which runs between the Eastern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Canada, at Sault Ste. Marie. A large number of rivers in Michigan and a few in Indiana hold resident Brown Trout, along with a few Rainbow trout and Brook Trout. You will probably find many ponds with bluegills and bass. I find bluegills will take almost any fly. Poppers work well (cork head and feather tails) and rubber spiders with rubber legs are always good. You will also have several rivers with smallmouth bass, which are great fun on a fly rod. I find a #4 muddler minnow or any good size streamer will do well.

Replying to:

http://www.bowside.co.uk/torresdale_cb.jpg

that URL is a picture of my favourite fishing spot

Replying to:

Hi

Tight Lines

Re: Hello from Scottish Fly Fisher

JC,

Have you tried checking with some of the local sporting goods shops, fly tying shops, or fishing tackle shops? Wish I knew more about your area to help you out, but I'm over here on the West Coast.

What city are you in? Maybe I can narrow down some contacts for you and find out some more info.

Steve

Replying to:

Hi

Tight Lines