Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flies for Alaska

Hello Max,

Where in Alaska are you heading? I'd highly recommend hitting the Kenai Peninsula southeast of Anchorage at some point. The Kenai and Russian rivers are two of the best Rainbow rivers in the world. August is the best time of year for Bows and Dollies and what I've always used is plastic beads. Go to a local fly shop and you can purchase different colored plastic beads with a hole through the middle (light oranges and pinks about the size of egg patterns) and drop them in a cup of white, or off white finger nail polish for a few minutes. When they dry you won't be able to tell them apart from the real McCoy. Use a strike indicator and hold the bead on the line with a tooth pick about 1" - 1-1/2" about a #6 or #8 hook. find the salmon and I guarantee you'll never catch more bows anywhere in your life. You can also try woollies and flesh flies. Earlier in the year you'll have success with many of the same flies you use around the midwest, nymphs particularly. Good Luck.

Brad - Wisconsin

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

A friend and I are planning a trip to Alaska next summer and have little idea what to bring as far as flies go. I’ve looked around and I know of a few types that I’ll tie up. I was wondering if you had any insight into our dilemma. We’re renting a motor home and are planning to fish the highway system. I’m unsure also of the wisdom of this, but we looked at the prices of lodges and having just graduated from college they look a touch pricey(for now….). Thank you for your time.

Max