Return to Website

Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bright roe fly

I want to try some of the bright roe flys. I tied some but would like to know what the best way to fish them is. Any help would be appreciated. I fish the Lake Erie tribs

Re: Bright roe fly

Chuck,

These are usually fished best on a dead drift off the bottom cast quartering accros and upstream, mend your line to get as fast a sink as possible and allow egg flies to drift down through steelhead lies, bouncing along bottom. They also are most effective following the salmon runs. The idea is to imitate salmon roe drifting downstream. You might need to weight the flies and use a fast sinking or sink tip line to get them down as well.

Steve

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I want to try some of the bright roe flys. I tied some but would like to know what the best way to fish them is. Any help would be appreciated. I fish the Lake Erie tribs

Re: Re: Bright roe fly

Steve...

Thank you for the information. I really like the look of the fly and i look forward to giving it a try. The information will give me a place to start. Thanks again.

Chuck

Replying to:

Chuck,

These are usually fished best on a dead drift off the bottom cast quartering accros and upstream, mend your line to get as fast a sink as possible and allow egg flies to drift down through steelhead lies, bouncing along bottom. They also are most effective following the salmon runs. The idea is to imitate salmon roe drifting downstream. You might need to weight the flies and use a fast sinking or sink tip line to get them down as well.

Steve

Replying to: