Return to Website

Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chum Bugs

I was in a hurry so I tied up some of George Lucas's Chum Bugs for a trip to Hoodsport. I was there too early and the fish were scarce. I hit the Puyallup on the way home for some Coho. The Chum Bugs worked great. In fast water with a fast sink line I had a hoot. I used them again in the Cowlitz with the same results. For such an easy fly to tie I was impressed. I am dreaming up some variations to them and will be testing them soon. Thanks.

Re: Chum Bugs

Hello Mark,

Just wanted you to know that The Chum Bugs were my pattern, not Clark Lucas. They are a simple fly to tie but effective and although I tied them originally for chums, I've had luck with similar flies with Silvers. Just as you say, they are nice to tie if you don't have a lot of time to tie something more complicated, the materials are cheap, and you don't mind losing a few to the fish or the rock gods.

Clark Lucas ties the great clasical style spey flies for Steelhead that you see on the site. They take a lot more skill and practice to tie, and are very effective. Don't think I'd want to waste them on Salmon though.

Steve Burke

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was in a hurry so I tied up some of George Lucas's Chum Bugs for a trip to Hoodsport. I was there too early and the fish were scarce. I hit the Puyallup on the way home for some Coho. The Chum Bugs worked great. In fast water with a fast sink line I had a hoot. I used them again in the Cowlitz with the same results. For such an easy fly to tie I was impressed. I am dreaming up some variations to them and will be testing them soon. Thanks.