Return to Website

Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: articulated flies

I have been experimenting with articulating flies since I read an article about a Marabou Hexegenia Nymph used for michigan steelhead. I live in eastern NY so I began tying our flies the same way, Jointed stoneflies are exceptionally good here. A few good changes to your recipies to deal with the crystal clear waters woud be to tie the tail and body on a streamer hook (turned down eye) cut the hook point off at the base of the tail. The next step is to tie in the mono loop, tie it in forward on a 3X short hook wrap the thread forward then double the mono back towards the bend wrap thread back to bend, add a dab of super glue or cement. Next thread the tail section onto the rear running mono with the eye pointing up(upside down, this lets the eye/tail sit more natural against the front hook)lay the mono tag forward along the front hook shank wrap twice with thread and pull mono forward leaving a small loop enough for the rear fook eye to move but not be sloppy. Continue to wrap thread to the front then double mono over to rear and rewreap to the bend. Another drop of cement and clip any tag end of the mono, and continue by tying in the thorax for the pattern you are tying. I use 6lb mono for the loop because there is no hook point on the rear so no pull there. Also if you are trying for a wide body nymph try tying in the first mono conection on one side making the loop /rear hook attachment then reattach the mono on the opposite side of the shank. The opposite is true for the smelt/frey patterns I do, looking for a vertical profile I try to keep the doubled over mono on the top and bottom of the shank. A few good patterns are the Hexegenia and the Stoneflies I mentioned earlier but nymphs in any color from olive to cream have worked for my friends and I. Also for shore running brown trout in the spring try bait fish patterns the same way with larger hook and some lead wire on the front hook braided tinsel bodies and bunny strip or marabou wings with a small bit of red as gills under the front have been exceptional the last few years. Good luck and don't forget to experiment and adapt!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks Dennis, I'll look it up in Trey Combs book. I would like to hear from some others too about some different methods.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would like to here how other tiers solve th problems of connecting or lengthening patterns to form marabou or bunnt leech patterns for steelhead. Any good techniques out there?Pls pass them on. Thx Dennis