Return to Website

Salmonfly.Net Message Board

Salmon and Steelhead Fly Tying and Fishing Fishing

Salmonfly.Net Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i'm printing up some of these flies

I am printing some of these flies, to add to my fly box. every time i go to see instruction's on how to tie them, there is always the same fly every time. How can i tie these flies with out know ing the step's to them? It's really frusterating when you want to tie a fly and have no idea a to what to tie on the hook first! Is there any instruction's for any of these flies? I know that alot of them are basic and simple, but for those who don't tie that much and or are learning to tie, WE NEED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION'S. Sorry to sound upset, but it's true.

thanks for any info

dale bailey

P.S these are the flies i have printed so far, JAY'S GREEN RAFIA STONE,GREEN BUTT SKUNK, GRANNY

Re: i'm printing up some of these flies

Dale,

I'mm sorry you are upset. I've never heard your complaint before. Please be a little more specific and tell me what you mean. There are over 300 hundred flies on the site so you can't mean that it is the same fly all the time unless. I expend a tremendous amount of my persoanl time to make sure new flies are added every week to the flies of the week.

Are you saying that the way the patterns are put on the page is confusing? Do you need more instruction in tying each fly? If you are getting the same fly every week then either your browser is not refreshing or you are going to the same fly instead of checking the right pages. Let me know specifically how I can help you and we can work together.

Steve Burke

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am printing some of these flies, to add to my fly box. every time i go to see instruction's on how to tie them, there is always the same fly every time. How can i tie these flies with out know ing the step's to them? It's really frusterating when you want to tie a fly and have no idea a to what to tie on the hook first! Is there any instruction's for any of these flies? I know that alot of them are basic and simple, but for those who don't tie that much and or are learning to tie, WE NEED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION'S. Sorry to sound upset, but it's true.

thanks for any info

dale bailey

P.S these are the flies i have printed so far, JAY'S GREEN RAFIA STONE,GREEN BUTT SKUNK, GRANNY

Re: i'm printing up some of these flies

Typically, the order of the body parts should be in the order that they are put on the hook. Like in green butt skunk you will tie in the tail, the green chenille, wind the chinelle forward, tie it off, tie in tinsel and black chinelle, wind the chinelle forward and tie off, then the tinsel and tie off, then tie in the black hackle and wind it, tie it off, and then tie in the calf tail wing, and finish the head. If thread is not specified, head color is the thread color.

The other key to order and balance of the pattern is from looking at the photograph. Most books don't have detailed pattern directions, and only with my first ties of complex patterns do I want one. Recently I tied General Practitioner and liked directions, but now I don't want any.

All three of the patterns that you list are pretty basic, maybe what you need is a fly tying class to understand better what a fly pattern is and how to execute tying it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

thanks for any info

dale bailey