Homepage of COP 24-7 Forum

Cop247 would like to hear what you are pissed off about.

Homepage of COP 24-7 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dangerous dog in Howland Township

The Tribune chose to edit my "Letter to the Editor" today so I will post it here in full.

This is in response to the recent article about the dangerous dog in Howland township. A group of about two dozen citizens from the area attended the Trustees meeting on Dec. 13th to address the problem of a dog that has attacked five other dogs that were being walked on leashes by their owners. The pets that were attacked were severely injured and two of the owners themselves were hurt trying to protect their pets. The dangerous dog is usually tethered on an inadequate wire in its front yard and breaks loose.
The first time that I saw the dog was about two years ago. The dog was in my front yard running loose and a short time later the owner came to retrieve the dog and she told us that “ It was a pit bull ”, her words not mine. The police were notified after each attack and reports were filed. After the latest attack , the fifth one, we went to the Trustees for help. We found out that parts of the Ohio vicious dog laws were deemed unconstitutional in 2004 and as of yet no alternative law has been put on the books, In each case all that the owner of the dog has been cited for is failure to control a dog, essentially a leash law.
The day following the meeting there were articles in the Tribune as well as the Vindicator. I was contacted by WFMJ TV 21 on Dec.14 because they wanted to do a story, regarding the dog attacks, that aired that evening. The following night TV 21 aired another segment, this time it was the response of the dog owner. She stated that “ She was sorry, but accidents do happen” again, her words. I’m sorry but five attacks are not an “accident”. Will she still feel that it is just an “accident” when it mauls an innocent child? Where was her remorse when her dog attacked one dog and knocked its owner down breaking some ribs in the process and all that she did was retrieve her dog and go home? Not once has she called any of the victims to apologize or to check on the condition of the injured pets. Now she says that the dog is not a pit bull but an American bulldog. On one police report she said that it was half pit bull. Maybe next week she can call it a grilled cheese sandwich.
It doesn’t take much mental capacity to realize that if your dog gets loose, runs free and injures other peoples pets, that by the way, are loved just as much by their owners, as she loves her pit bull/ american bulldog/ grilled cheese sandwich or whatever it is, that maybe you should have the responsibility that pet ownership requires and control your dog!

Re: Dangerous dog in Howland Township

D$m Dude, you serious about the dog and then the tribune edited your story, dont make sense why the tribune would do that...Thats why I made up this site so people in their citys can REALLY see what goes on...Would you like me to take care of the problem, I can also put some pictures of the dog and ect...Hopefully we can fix the problem, like you said, before a child gets hurt... Please pass the word about our site, maybe if enough people speak up we can get the dog problem taken care of...I am going to call the tribune about the story...

This as a very serious problem in Trumbull County as well as the whole state. There are NO dangerous and vicious dog laws. Will they wait until a child is badly hurt or worse to enact a law? If you are as concerned about this as we are then you should contact your elected officials and voice your concern! Regardless of the outcome of this particular case we are not going to stop until there is something enforceable on the books! I was contacted by someone who read my letter in the Tribune telling me that her son was severely injured by a neighbors dog and she ran up against the same thing that they told us, there was nothing that they could do. Well now there are a lot of people watching. They are not going to be able to blow this off any longer. We are going to be at the dog owners next court date, as well as the next commisioners meeting.

Let me no about the court date so I can have somebody there as well.