Eleuthera Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Need advice

Got an e mail from a man that said he works for a contrustion comapny in Scotland.. and wants to rent and wants to pay for it by a Company Check in Scotland in US funds.. wants our name phone address how do i know this is true????

Re: Need advice

That's the problem, it will be very difficult for you to determine what is true from such a long distance without spending a lot of money in long distance calls, etc. Insist that he give you a certified check in U.S. funds, or wire transfer money into your Bahamian or U.S. bank account.
Good Luck.

P.S.
I've had experience with people "trying" to scam me, as the result of internet ads to sell merchandise, and they can be very clever in their wordings. So, I'm very careful.

Re: Re: Need advice

I would only take a wire transfer. Period.

Re: Re: Re: Need advice

Wire Transfer Or PayPal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice

Look,
easiest thing in the world to get an email to the funds dept. of the bank in Scotland, verify that the account exists, ask them if he is a signatory ,and if he maintains a current balance in that amount at the bank.
Once he sends it, the banks here add on a small charge for a rush clearance,the funds are actually credited before he leaves the UK.
You americans make a mountain out of a molehill every time.
Pro bono advice, by the way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice

I am be from Canada......not nice...

Just found out its a scam.... Its Gary rice and Gary Nice and if you get any e mails from McNicholas Construction aberdeen scotland... Its a SCAM

He wanted "HIS" company to sent the check...

We do not make a mountain out of a molehill that was not necessary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice

I had an inquiry the other day - fellow said the rental was for his honeymoon and the wife's company (abroad) would be paying via cashier's check. I wrote him back and told me that I would first have to have a deposit, balance paid w/in 30 days of check-in, and that I would not accept any certified checks written over the actual amount.

Never heard another word.

I get 4 or 5 of these kinds of inquiries a year.

Cranky Canadians Again

Oh God, another Canadian that thinks they are better than Americans. Especially a French Canadian that can't grasp written english. Lloyd was trying to help. Hey, Lloyd charge all Canadiands double for now on! If you follow Lloyd's instructions, you won't have any problems. Go back to Canada. God I hate Canadians when they come to this island.

Re: Cranky Canadians Again

Nice generalization.....
As a Canadian about to travel to Eleuthera I hope to God I don't come across the likes of you.
There was no need for you to pipe in with your 2 cents.

Re: Re: Cranky Canadians Again

Yes, Laura is about right. I too get some ridiculous requests to reserve for about two or three weeks, and that they will overpay, and to just send them the amount they paid over.

Scam, scam. They hope you accept their good looking check, and I have seen a few that look great, without waiting for it to clear, you send them a partial refund. Of course, they want the money wired by Western Union, so they can skip before the bank tells you the check is phony.

Wilson

Re: Cranky Canadians Again?To: Momma don't want . . .

As a Canadian who has visited Eleuthera for over 25 years, I have NEVER felt the sentiments you express. On the contrary - I have always been warmly welcomed and often told how great Canadians are, especially the way they came in and voluntarily rebuilt homes after Hurricane Andrew. I am sorry you feel that way. Obviously you have had some bad expeiences with Canadians and I am sorry about that but it is too bad you are painting us all with that brush. I'm sure people on the island could also relate bad experiences with people of many nationalities. Are you the same person that was "condemning" Canadians a year ago?

That's how he helps people? By insulting their intelligence and nationality? He can keep his advice if that's how he delivers it. I'm not surprised he has to give it away with a snotty attitude like that. Who would want to pay for that? Can you imagine being this guy's client? I've never met Lloyd but I can only imagine what he looks like and how his personality is. I can just see his office: a big poster that says "Yankee, Go Home!"

you must have come across the only cranky Canadian in existence. I heard he was on Eleuthera at one time.

Canadians are welcomed and loved everywhere so maybe...the problem is you?

That's really uncalled for, Lloyd. And why do you assume this person is American? And so what if they are or are not. This message board gets enough flack for rude comments like yours. This website is a great source of information if one cares to sift through the gossip and rude commentary. So why not encourage people to post their questions and get answers in a respectful way.

Oh a bank that does not know you in Scotland is going to give you all this ionformation I dont think so.. The check is going to be written by the company so they will just give you private company matters just like that....

I think if you are an attorney you have just lost the american/canadian trade....Oh yes you dont care but why be nasty.. everyone also heard about yr past..... so dont be so smart..

If that was so easy the scam sites would have it in their warnings... they dont..

I have to laugh Only on this site you go from warming people of a rental scam to hate of French Canadians..

French Canadians do have a reputation all over Fla of being cheap and they are.... I was told 15% was added on their bill as they do in europe because they never tip.. Of course its not everyone thats a given..every nationality has a trait.. so know yr customer but hate should not enter into it... Why get into that unless you had some dealing with them...

yes and have we heard of your ------- past , the day and hour that I have to rely on you, I'll move to Darfur, sick and tired of assinine bull**** on this board.
and by the way stop hidin behind a f------n alias, stand and be counted

"You americans make a mountain out of a molehill every time."

Well, sorry, MR. ESQUIRE, BIG TIME ELEUTHERA LAWYER,
"You Bahamian lawyers make a mountain out of a molehill every time."
Keep your FREE (pro bono) advice. You are NOT the only source of information.

Loyd, I've seen you post many time on this board and must admit you usually seem quite helpful and informed but you are WAY out of line on this one. Your elitist attitude is not appreciated. I have a house which I rent and I get these scams quite often. Almost always from overseas "renters". This person had every right to be concerned and you were dead wrong! I think an apology is in order.

Gotta Love 'em

Canadians when they come on this island think it is their island and treat people rather snooty. They also are the cheapest people ever to set foot on this island. Heck, Haitians probably spend more than them. They bring everything they need to eat with them for the week they are here. Lots of Peanut butter and jelly. Hang around the island long enough and you will know what I mean, The Canadian National Anthem goes like this: "Let's all sing like the Birdies sing, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap cheap"

Re: Gotta Love 'em

I can't stay quiet any longer on this. Saying all Canadians are cheap and unfriendly or that all Americans are arrogant and pushy is like saying that all Bahamians are lazy and shiftless, just because a few are. Tarring everyone with the same brush is wrong, inaccurate and unfair. Shouldn't we regard people for what THEY are, as individuals

Re: Gotta Love 'em

Its not yr business what they eat and bring... What you are saying is they dont shop in the stores...Do you have a store..Most people i know do a heavy shopping 2/week salad and vegs etc etc.. you must have had some bad dealings with these people to have such strong hate feeling..

I second the opinion about Scottish banks. No bank will respond via email with someone who does not hold an account with them unless it is an inquiry about general banking matters i.e. opening an account.
They will NOT give out verification of a customers account and if it has funds. The banking system in the U.K., of which Scotland is a member, is very tightly controlled.

Responding to :-
Look,
easiest thing in the world to get an email to the funds dept. of the bank in Scotland, verify that the account exists, ask them if he is a signatory ,and if he maintains a current balance in that amount at the bank.

Gotta love some of them Bahamian attitudes and advice!
As a Canadian who has spent thousands of $ in Eleuthera over the years, I am now enjoying Sosua in DR, where I can spend my $, without getting attitude, and watch it go along way into the cafes, bars, and condo renters pockets, joyfully

Who you trying to fool? You wouldn't be on this forum any longer if you only went to the D.R. If so, Bye Bye ! No tears for the maple syrup people from me ! Make sure when your there to cross over into Haiti, it's even cheaper there "You'll Love It". You get what you pey for, machete weilding nuts, mudslides, no trees, rampant crime, no food, but you don't have to worry about the later since you'll have that PB&J w/ you The only good thing down there is Presidente beer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice

Hmmm, aren't you the one who was whining about the cost of airfares?

Now, if you're just baiting, then you're doing an excellent job. Congrats!

If you're not, then you're being a hypocritical idiot.

I'm leaning toward the latter.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Who you trying to fool? You wouldn't be on this forum any longer if you only went to the D.R. If so, Bye Bye ! No tears for the maple syrup people from me ! Make sure when your there to cross over into Haiti, it's even cheaper there "You'll Love It". You get what you pey for, machete weilding nuts, mudslides, no trees, rampant crime, no food, but you don't have to worry about the later since you'll have that PB&J w/ you The only good thing down there is Presidente beer.

When people said there was hate on this net but i see now WOW it takes my breath away.... why ? I think she should be eliminated from the net its un called for and its getting personal

GOTCHA TOO CAPT.

Capt. you are just as much the chump as the rest, of course I was baiting. Canadians are so sensitive You must be Canadian as well !!!!! Glad to have been able to put one over on the old Capt. himself ! Does everyone wear their heart on their sleeve around here? Hey, Canadians "Want a little cheese to go with that whine"

Re: GOTCHA TOO CAPT.

Looks like I was right on both counts.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Capt. you are just as much the chump as the rest, of course I was baiting. Canadians are so sensitive You must be Canadian as well !!!!! Glad to have been able to put one over on the old Capt. himself ! Does everyone wear their heart on their sleeve around here? Hey, Canadians "Want a little cheese to go with that whine"

Re: GOTCHA TOO CAPT.

You really mean it thats what you feel dont say its baiting and if it is that is not needed also..

I am amazed at the vehemence with which “momma” speaks. We Canadians visited last year and had a wonderful time. The only items we brought in were spices as we were unaware of what would be available on island.
We purchased all of our foodstuffs and liquor in both Governors’ Harbour, or Rock Sound. We ate breakfast at our rental usually having picked up cinnamon buns or bread at the Island Farm from a vehicle that we rented at a daily rate considerably more than one would rent anywhere in North America. We stopped all over the island had lunch in out of the way restaurants, or packed a picnic lunch with supplies we bought at Burrows, or the great fish we caught on Mr. Petty’s fishing boat.
I feel that you are single handedly tarnishing the wonderful reputation that Eleutheran people have for welcoming tourists. Shame on you!

Momma you do your fellow islanders a great dis-service. Lighten up or go away. Perhaps "the pirate" needs a roommate. Your personal attacks are not needed on a board like this.

Learn to take a joke ! Don't you know what baiting is? It means I was trying to get you maple syrup people all rowled up GOTCHA GOOD ! So good in fact, you still believe I was serious !

What is the reason that you NEED to GET the people... what purpose does it serve???? its very sick

Iagree. Eleuthera is such a one of a kind paradise. It would be nice to keep it like it has been - pristene and unspoiled but that would be a real fantasy. But to degrade (call it "bait" if you will) good people, where ever they come from is just plain wrong. "Momma" should fold his (or her) tent and disappear. That kind of crap degrades all Bahamians and all the rest of us. Go away.

I really hope that the nasty ones on this board are not BAHAMIAN,because I cannot believe that a Bahamian would be on here trying to kill tourism in Eleuthera.

I visited Gregory Town a few years ago and drove the entire Island and from what I saw, you in Eleuthera should thank God for every tourist dollar that you get instead of trying to run it off.Check the other Islands and how they treat their tourists.
Before you respond to this I am a Bahamian.

It's usually not the Bahamians

It's typically not the Bahamians that use baiting tactics on this board or stoop to nastiness (unless its about the local beauty pageants - that really gets some people riled up). Most of the rude comments come from non-Bahamians. Don't let the rudeness on this site in any way reflect the good people of Eleuthera. They have too much dignity to lower themselves to rakin scraper's level.

Re: It's usually not the Bahamians

Too bad we dont have like a white out to white her off the screen..

Having established that Canadians are basically wonderful folks who have a tendency to be just a tad thrifty, I formally move that we close out this thread.

All in favor say "Aye."

Here, Here! Canadians can't take a joke Even after I admit it was just a joke, they keep on believing it.

just STOP.. we really dont want to hear from you....