Eleuthera Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fruits and Veggies

The Rock Sound Market has an incredible selection of produce, usually well stocked at the end of the week. The proprietor sends out an email mid-week to let interested parties know what produce has come in.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but are pineapples in season in April, or is it too early?
Also are we going to have a hard time getting food on Easter Sunday when we come in? I understand that probably most things will be closed, but we just wanted to know if something would be open.

Again thanks for all the help, we're counting the sleeps - only 15 left

Re: Re: Fruits and Veggies

Don't forget, Easter Monday is a holiday as well and stores will be closed.

Perhaps you can get in touch with the caretaker a few days before your arrival and give him/her a list of a few basics you'll need upon arrival. Then you can stock up when you know the stores will be open. Just a thought.

As a fellow Montrealer just returned from Eleuthera and already yearning to go back I envy you. Where will you be staying? All the answers you got are great if you are staying in the Governor's Harbour/Palmetto Point area. In the North, try AAA Farms, Asa Albury is the owner/manager. He is on the airport road, just across from the Scotiabank (actually across from the Oasis Water Stand)- green duplex apartment. His front door is on the side of that building, just knock. Call first (335-1732 home or 551-0928 cell)so he will be there. I got huge bags of arugula, mustard greens, parsley, coriander that lasted a long time. He cut it for me right there. Also - Fine Threads (Frederic), a taxi driver at North Eleuthera airport has "greens". Can't miss him - his white van is marked "Fine Threads". Wesley Johnson's store in Lower Bogue is open 7 a.m. till 10 p.m. and was open Christmas and so probably Easter. He has lettuce (usually romaine), peppers, green onion, celery, sometimes red onion, grapes, cantelope and/or honeydew melon, apples, oranges, limes etc. most of the time. He gets supplies on Thursday morning and Friday night boats. Let me know where you are staying and I can tell you more re shopping.

Re: Re: Re: Fruits and Veggies

Eleuthera Supply in Governors has local pineapples this week.

Wowsers! Fresh Local Pineapple!

Jo - Thanks so much for the valuable info, it's so great to know a fellow Montrealer was so recently there. We are staying in Governor's Harbor, close to Club Med Beach. How far would the fellow be that was open on Christmas from where we are. We are renting a car so we do have mobility.

I guess it's nice the first two days are holiday's - we'll get to decompress faster

Wesley Johnson's store is in the town of Lower Bogue which is about an hour north of you, the other side of Glass Window bridge. A bit of a drive for groceries. He is a small shop - a depanneur with produce as mentioned, frozen meat, canned goods etc. You can probably find a similiar shop open in Governor's, Palmetto Point or even Rock Sound which has a good size grocery store. Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks so much for all the info. Just wanted to know - how available is coconut oil on the island?