Return to Website

The (Original) Wireless Set No. 19 Group
Discussion Forum

Please use this area ONLY to discuss or ask questions from others about vintage military communications gear,  NOT to post for sales, wants or other classified ads. Any such posts will be deleted.  QM Stores is available for classified ads.

The Wireless Set No. 19 Group Chat Area
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
on the air

I have spent a lot of time in the shack rubbing on my Mk11. I managed to be heard across the pond in Wales and I have been working to raise the output a bit so the radio can be used most of the time barefoot. My across the pond was on CW but I operate AM quite a bit too. Recently (Monday)I discovered what was holding the 807 final back and now have a radio that works well enough it is my rig of choice these last few days. Today I worked some 80M AM at a fair distance for that time of day. I have also had it on my twin 811A HB amp and can now push approx 100 watts output. However I now use it barefoot with ease most QSOs. Before I was only able to produce around 20W. Voltages are still moderate and with in stated parameters. I run it in a AC supply (HB). I look forward to working another 19 set sometime on AM (or CW). Anyone have one on air regularly?
donVE3LYX

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? yes

Re: on the air

Dear OM Don,

I own a serviceable RCA Victor Canadian WS19-MKIII which I proudly and happily use on a daily basis, mainly on 40m CW covering whole Europe with DX well over 1400 miles.
It puts out 8W into my 40m long LW close to ground.
In two occasions, I crossed the pond, according to the RBN (Reverse Beacon Network) and was heard by two East Coast US stations.
My WS19 set woks also on IC and B (have the G-rod, the antenna base No. 9 and its special short coax).
I would be very happy to schedule a QSO with you and a great pleasure to establish a WS19-WS19 QSO !!!
Please let me know.

I am currently searching a Carrier No. 1 or No. 23 or make a repro of No. 23.

Best 73,
Alex - HB9DTA

My current setup:
WS19 MKIII
PSU Unit No. 2 MKIII
Variometer MKII (simply modified with SO-239 output socket)
Complete Case spare parts No. 5
Complete Case spare valves
Marconi Crystal Calibrator and its special dogbone wire
Normal dogbone wire
Operators Lamp No. 6
250 Feet antenna wire No. 1
C1 Dummy load
Control Unit No. 1 MKII
Control Unit No. 2 MKII
Control Unit NO. 3a MKII
Other parts, connecting wires.

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? Yes

Re: on the air

Stay in touch. We will watch the bands and when 40m gets good we will try.
Tnx 73 Don Dulmage (Dolmetsch)

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? Yes