Return to Website

The (Original) Wireless Set No. 19 Group
Discussion Forum

Please use this area ONLY to discuss or ask questions from others about vintage military communications gear,  NOT to post for sales, wants or other classified ads. Any such posts will be deleted.  QM Stores is available for classified ads.

The Wireless Set No. 19 Group Chat Area
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maintenence query

I recently acquired a WS #19 MKII in fair condition, but not operable. Both of the dynamotor supplies are inop and appear have the 12v side shorted out (measured while isolated). In trying to bring up the receiver to get an idea of what's what, and with the application of external 275v and 12v, I do get the receiver to "play". That is, I can receive signals at about 1000uv level. I have not begun to re-cap the machine, however. Question: When I push the spot switch, the receiver sensitivity appears to improve by about 50%. It goes from about 1000uv down to about 300uv, more or less. I'm confused as to what I believe the spot switch should do. The 500v voltage has not been connected for the above tests. Even though I got a box full of cables, control boxes, spares, and other accessories, I'm having second thoughts on the project. I did not recently fall off the turnip wagon when it comes to restoring MIL equipment, but this radio set presents some genuine obstacles to overcome. Regards and thanks for any info.

Jeep K3HVG

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? Not yet!