Return to Website

The (Original) Wireless Set No. 19 Group
Discussion Forum

Please use this area ONLY to discuss or ask questions from others about vintage military communications gear,  NOT to post for sales, wants or other classified ads. Any such posts will be deleted.  QM Stores is available for classified ads.

The Wireless Set No. 19 Group Chat Area
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
correct dogbone cable for WS19 Mk II?

All,

I'm the new proud owner of a WS19 MkII and a bunch of accessories and I'm trying to get it up and running so we can show and even possibly use as part of a display of WWII radios and talk-in station at a local warbirds air show next month here in North Carolina.

As far as I know, my WS19 and accessories is just a collection of "stuff" and never has actually been used together.
In looking over the various cables I received with the set there is only one dogbone cable but the orientation is incorrect, the cable end indents don't match up with what's needed.

My dogbone is 6-pin

I have the PS on the left and the WS19 radio to it's right, as both will eventually sit on the carrier

On both the power connectors on the WS19 radio and the PS, the connector pin indent is between pins 6 and 1

On my dogbone cable, the connector pin indent on one cable end is between pins 3 and 4, and the other between 6 and 1.

So I assume that one dogbone cable end is correct and the other isn't... Except that if I plug either end of my dogbone cable into either the WS19 or the PS, the "groove" indent on the back of the connector (where the wire clip keeps the connector from coming loose) neither are correctly aligned - the dent needs to be vertical but aren't...

Also if I set the PS on it's side and on top of the radio I can connect the two units together with the dogbone but neither of the "grooves" have the correct orientation...

I see how the doggone connector's outer casing can theoretically be realigned so the pin indent can be set/changed, except on my dogbone the outer casings at both ends have been nicely soldered to the connector casing...

Do I need to start unsoldering and reorienting, or look for another Mk II 6-pin doggone cable?

Sorry for sharing my confusion. The solution is probably a lot simpler than my description above.

I'll post some pictures to my website if visual clarification is needed....!

Tnx and best,

brian
kn4r
WS19 newbie

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? soon I hope

Re: correct dogbone cable for WS19 Mk II?

All,

Meir WF2U kindly answered my question in an email to me this AM:

-----

Your photos solved the mystery and confirmed what I initially thought when you mentioned your problem.…

The dogbone you have is the “Connector 6 point No. 4B”, and it is the dogbone for the setup in the Canadian Universal Carrier (a small tracked vehicle) where the PSU is on top of the WS19.

The dogbone for the side-by-side setup is the “Connector 6 point No. 4A”.

The 4B dogbones are much scarcer than the standard 4A.

-----
So I am looking for a 4A dogbone, and have a 4B dogbone for possible trade if anyone needs
(I've just made a post on this in the QM Stores area)

tnx,

brian
kn4r

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? soon I hope

Meir WF2U graciously invited me any my WS19 MkII over to his QTH today.

My doggone cable was mis-shapened a bit on one end and the pins were not oriented correctly with the notch (even with the PS sitting on top of the set). Meir fixed the cable and looked over the PS, the large capacitor had been replaced by the previous owner. He fired up the 19, the dynamotor started right up and the 19 showed LV and HV but no PS light indicator light (the bulb tested OK).

So no filament voltage - Meir traced the problem to one side of the PS on/off switch (DPDT), which was not "making". He jumpered the filament side of the switch and the 19 fired right up, and after tuneup shows approx 12 W out on 40 and 15W out on 80... I called a friend of mine approx 75 air miles away and we QSOed on 40 CW for a bit, received RST 579 w/ good tone and a bit of chirp. AM is also working.

TNX for the WS19 mentoring, Meir!

It feels good to have a serviceable WS19, I'm looking forward to using it.

brian
kn4r

PS I still want to use the WS19 and PS side-by-side in the carrier so if anyone has an extra correct MkII doggone please let me know.

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? yes - tnx to Meir WF2U

Where in North Carolina are you? Would you mind letting me stick my head inside your No. 19 set? I have one here in the tidewater VA area which has been butchered in odd ways and I'm having trouble matching up some of the altered wiring with the schematic.... if I could see inside a working set it would make my job much much easier. Email me at kludge at panix dot com if you can.
--scott

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? no