Return to Website

The (Original) Wireless Set No. 19 Group
Discussion Forum

Please use this area ONLY to discuss or ask questions from others about vintage military communications gear,  NOT to post for sales, wants or other classified ads. Any such posts will be deleted.  QM Stores is available for classified ads.

The Wireless Set No. 19 Group Chat Area
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
identification of this set

I bought a modified 19 set back in 1972 from a local electronics 'junk shop' (when I was 14) and living in Greater Manchester, UK. I've not used it on the air although it works on RX and TX. It has been modified (i.e. an internal UK mains power supply has been fitted and some of the PA components have been replaced, including the variable capacitor which has had the associated slow motion drive removed). Anyway, I would like to identify it if possible. The details are:
Wireless Set No 19 Mk III
ZA.10479
Serial No. R/RAC/ND629.
Could anyone help me to place this set (i.e. is is UK, USA, Canadian)? Also what year was it manufactured and does anyone know anything of its history?
I have loaded the TX up on a dummy load and it runs at about 15 W and AM phone modulation is certainly operating. The RX is fine but the heterodyne control isn't working so I can't resolve SSB.
I have used the RX on 7MHz with a centre fed dipole and reception is reasonable. I ran the TX into an ATU on the same aerial and managed to get what appeared to be excellent forward transmission SWR (could be set to give virtually zero reflected SWR), but have not managed any contacts as yet, probably because few people now bother with AM locally. I live in Edinburgh, Scotland. Thanks for any help you can give.
Matthew

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? yes

Re: identification of this set

It's a British made set, and the R/RAC/NDnnn setial number means Refurbished/RACAL/and their serial number. (The ND may well be their factory location code). I have an apparently new control unit (in a fairly odd shade of green) that was refurbished by them, and it has their details on the cardboard box.

Chris.

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? Yes