Return to Website

The (Original) Wireless Set No. 19 Group
Discussion Forum

Please use this area ONLY to discuss or ask questions from others about vintage military communications gear,  NOT to post for sales, wants or other classified ads. Any such posts will be deleted.  QM Stores is available for classified ads.

The Wireless Set No. 19 Group Chat Area
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
19-Set Horizontal Aerials

Does anyone have a detailed photo of an original Horizontal Aerial Assy on it's wooden reel? The only photo I have found is in the Mk III Canadian Operators manual and it is too small for much detail.

It looks like both ends of the aerial might have the same 3-link plastic insulator chain fastened to them. What I need to know is what completed the connection from the 3-link insulator to the guy plate of the masts. Is it the same spring clip assembly as are found on the mast guy cables, a large circular split ring, which is referenced but not shown in the manual for the telescopic masts Canadian, or something completely different?

Also, were the Canadian made Horizontal Aerials the same as the British? I saw a British one many years ago and recall it only had one plastic insulator link at either end and was attached to the guy plate of the mast by another approx 3-foot lead of aerial wire, the end of which had been dipped in solder to prevent unravelling.

Do you own a serviceable 19 Set? Two