Return to Website

THE POMERANIAN FORUM

Welcome to the Pomeranian Forum.A friendly place for all lovers of the Pomeranian breed to meet and discuss all aspects of owning[ I should say being owned by a Pomeranian].A place to share grooming, training, feeding tips etc.Have fun and enjoy your Pomeranian

THE POMERANIAN FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cute Doggy, Flat Coat

Hello everyone!

First off, let me tell you that this is a great forum. My puppy is now almost five months(born on xmas) and this site offers a lot of help. I do have a question, though. My puppy, toby is a lighter brown with cream on his bib and under his belly and a medium brown on his back. When I bought him, the breeder described him as cream and tan. When I got him, he was only six weeks old but a very cute little fluff ball. Now at almost five months, his coat is lacking any of the standoff fluffiness that I see on your dogs on your site. I know about the uglies from reading the section on your site but my dogs coat wasn't as thick as your puppies on your site from the beginning. Is there anything I can do to ensure a fuller coat and also do you have any idea what color he may turn out to be? I also would like to know if you have any suggestions on how to describe the way I want my puppy groomed when getting him professionally done. I recently went to a groomer and decided that just as poodles have a signature cut, the poms would generally be groomed on a certain style like yours are on your site. The groomer instead of giving my pup a round shapely cut like I expected, gave him a really close cut with almost no hair except on his tail. I was really disappointed and nearly cried at the site of my pup. How can I explain more throughly for the next time? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

Jean(Toby's Mom)

Re: Cute Doggy, Flat Coat

Did you see both parents of your Pomeranian?? If you did what type of coat did they have??? I would go back to the breeder of your Pomeranian and ask for advice, but I would wait until your Pomeranian is at least 8 months of age before I started to worry about the type of coat. 5 months is usually not a good age for Pomeranian coats. I would ask the breeder to reccomend a groomer that was more experienced with Pomeranians in your area. I do have a lot of info re grooming Pomeranians on my site, that maybe of help to you.

Make sure your Pomeranian does not have any internal or external parasites. Watch your Pomeranian's diet. I try not to feed anything that is brightly colored [ the dyes used to get these colors cannot be good for your Pomeranian].I shudder when I see people buying those brightly colored dry dog foods. I actually try to feed a varied natural diet.

Good luck with your baby and please keep us informed of your progress. Hugs Denise

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello everyone!

First off, let me tell you that this is a great forum. My puppy is now almost five months(born on xmas) and this site offers a lot of help. I do have a question, though. My puppy, toby is a lighter brown with cream on his bib and under his belly and a medium brown on his back. When I bought him, the breeder described him as cream and tan. When I got him, he was only six weeks old but a very cute little fluff ball. Now at almost five months, his coat is lacking any of the standoff fluffiness that I see on your dogs on your site. I know about the uglies from reading the section on your site but my dogs coat wasn't as thick as your puppies on your site from the beginning. Is there anything I can do to ensure a fuller coat and also do you have any idea what color he may turn out to be? I also would like to know if you have any suggestions on how to describe the way I want my puppy groomed when getting him professionally done. I recently went to a groomer and decided that just as poodles have a signature cut, the poms would generally be groomed on a certain style like yours are on your site. The groomer instead of giving my pup a round shapely cut like I expected, gave him a really close cut with almost no hair except on his tail. I was really disappointed and nearly cried at the site of my pup. How can I explain more throughly for the next time? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

Jean(Toby's Mom)