Return to Website

THE POMERANIAN FORUM

Welcome to the Pomeranian Forum.A friendly place for all lovers of the Pomeranian breed to meet and discuss all aspects of owning[ I should say being owned by a Pomeranian].A place to share grooming, training, feeding tips etc.Have fun and enjoy your Pomeranian

THE POMERANIAN FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poms and hairballs

hi my little pomeranian seems to be coughing alot it seems like his trying coughing up hair balls, i suspect its hairballs because he does have alot of hair. His been doing this ever since he was 10 weeks old. is this normal for pomeranians?"

Re: Poms and hairballs

We have an 18 mth old that has been doing this since we got her at 10 mths. She is the ONLY pom of 5 we ever have that did this. She hacks up a plaque of hair every few weeks. Now that she is older, and is learning to spit OUT the dust bunnies her ball picks up, instead of swallowing them, it happens less often. Our vet said we could give her cat hair ball remedy, but it is basically butter (abt 1/2 - 1 tsp) when she hacks to slick up the hair and make it come up better or go down and out the right way. I tried butter and it seemed to help her hack it up faster.

We also had a pom with a collapsed trachea down low, and scar tissue constriction up high (from debarking - previous owner). That tends to have more of a honk or husky cough accompanied by wheezing to breathe. The hacking of a hair ball sounds like what it is, trying to get something out of the back of their throat and they will stop if distracted. There is no distracting from the cough of an inhibited airway.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

hi my little pomeranian seems to be coughing alot it seems like his trying coughing up hair balls, i suspect its hairballs because he does have alot of hair. His been doing this ever since he was 10 weeks old. is this normal for pomeranians?"

I would have take your Pomeranian to the vet and have him checked, but it may be hairballs and the hairball rememdy for cats works with Pomeranians as well. I have heard of baby poms dying from hairballs, so please have your Pomeranian checked by a vet. Good luck. Denise Leo, Dochlaggie Pomeranians.

Replying to:

thanks for the help everyone. i will get my pomeranian checked with our vet a.s.a.p.

Replying to: