Return to Website

THE POMERANIAN FORUM

Welcome to the Pomeranian Forum.A friendly place for all lovers of the Pomeranian breed to meet and discuss all aspects of owning[ I should say being owned by a Pomeranian].A place to share grooming, training, feeding tips etc.Have fun and enjoy your Pomeranian

THE POMERANIAN FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hair Balls

hi... my pomeranian seems to be trying to caugh up hair balls all the time. it seems to be getting worse. he will make noises like he has something stuck in his throat and trys to cough it up. each time he does this it scares me because it seems like he going to choke or something. is this normal for pomeranians?

Re: Hair Balls

It might not be hairballs. Pomeranians sometimes have problems with the trachea in their throats. It is a genetic thing that causes the trachea to sometimes collapse and that is why they cough like they do to try to open it up again. I have 2 Pomeranians that have this problem although one has it happen more often than the other one perhaps because she is a smaller dog. Even though I think it could be a trachea problem, only a vet can diagnose it properly and can monitor the dog's condition to make sure that nothing worse happens. You need to be aware of every possible thing that could go wrong with their airways, so I hope I am not worrying you unnecessarily.

We found out the hard way that these dogs can have problems with tracheal collapses. Our youngest one (the smaller one) developed an infection in her throat and when the trachea collapsed the next time, it completely cut off her breathing and she passed out after turning around in circles on my lap. We took her to the vet and they couldn't see anything wrong so they sent her home. The next day, she did it again so the vet took an x-ray and found the trachea had completely been closed off. It was a scary episode as if we hadn't paid attention to her signs, she could have passed away. This from what I understand is an extreme reaction but it can happen.

If I were you, I would call up your vet to make sure that your dog gets checked over and if it does turn out to be hairballs then you should be okay but if it turns out to be tracheal collapse, read up on it as much as you can. There is information on it through vet websites on the internet.

Please keep us informed of your dog's progress here.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

hi... my pomeranian seems to be trying to caugh up hair balls all the time. it seems to be getting worse. he will make noises like he has something stuck in his throat and trys to cough it up. each time he does this it scares me because it seems like he going to choke or something. is this normal for pomeranians?

Re: Re: Hair Balls

sorry i forgot to mention that he did cough up a hairball once. it was with a puddle of yellow excretion. so am i just worried about nothing?

Replying to:

It might not be hairballs. Pomeranians sometimes have problems with the trachea in their throats. It is a genetic thing that causes the trachea to sometimes collapse and that is why they cough like they do to try to open it up again. I have 2 Pomeranians that have this problem although one has it happen more often than the other one perhaps because she is a smaller dog. Even though I think it could be a trachea problem, only a vet can diagnose it properly and can monitor the dog's condition to make sure that nothing worse happens. You need to be aware of every possible thing that could go wrong with their airways, so I hope I am not worrying you unnecessarily.

We found out the hard way that these dogs can have problems with tracheal collapses. Our youngest one (the smaller one) developed an infection in her throat and when the trachea collapsed the next time, it completely cut off her breathing and she passed out after turning around in circles on my lap. We took her to the vet and they couldn't see anything wrong so they sent her home. The next day, she did it again so the vet took an x-ray and found the trachea had completely been closed off. It was a scary episode as if we hadn't paid attention to her signs, she could have passed away. This from what I understand is an extreme reaction but it can happen.

If I were you, I would call up your vet to make sure that your dog gets checked over and if it does turn out to be hairballs then you should be okay but if it turns out to be tracheal collapse, read up on it as much as you can. There is information on it through vet websites on the internet.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Hair Balls

I would still go to the vet just to make sure, it couldn't hurt to have him checked over.

Replying to:

sorry i forgot to mention that he did cough up a hairball once. it was with a puddle of yellow excretion. so am i just worried about nothing?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hair Balls

thanks cathy ill have him checked out a.s.a.p

Replying to:

I would still go to the vet just to make sure, it couldn't hurt to have him checked over.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to: