Return to Website

THE POMERANIAN FORUM

Welcome to the Pomeranian Forum.A friendly place for all lovers of the Pomeranian breed to meet and discuss all aspects of owning[ I should say being owned by a Pomeranian].A place to share grooming, training, feeding tips etc.Have fun and enjoy your Pomeranian

THE POMERANIAN FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Disciplining

My husband and I just got our first pom puppy almost 2 weeks ago. He is the cutest little thing, but we are unsure about how to go about disciplining him when he is misbehaving. I have been told to just tell him No firmly, but he will sometimes not listen or go running away with the thing that he should not have. (he's definitley got a personality!) Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to discipline him so he knows to behave better, or knows what is okay and what is not? Has anyone else had this problem?? I appreciate any help we can get.
Meghan

Re: Disciplining

I am need of help with this matter as well my 8 week old gets feisty and jumps at my face trying to bite me, how do I go about scolding him?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My husband and I just got our first pom puppy almost 2 weeks ago. He is the cutest little thing, but we are unsure about how to go about disciplining him when he is misbehaving. I have been told to just tell him No firmly, but he will sometimes not listen or go running away with the thing that he should not have. (he's definitley got a personality!) Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to discipline him so he knows to behave better, or knows what is okay and what is not? Has anyone else had this problem?? I appreciate any help we can get.
Meghan

Re: Re: Disciplining

Whenever your animals are disobedient, put your hand on the area between their front legs and their head and gently give the hair a brief shake while saying no. You don't need to do it very hard, just enough for them to get the message. Afterwards, you stroke their head to reassure them they are still loved. I learned this technique on a video about Pomeranians and gave it a go the next time my little one misbehaved and it worked. Keep persisting and it should help in the long run.

I hope this works for you like it did for me.

If anyone wants the video it can be found at Amazon.com and type in the word Pomeranian in the search area on the page.

Re: Re: Re: Disciplining

Thanks Cathy! I'm going to try that and see how it goes... I'm excited for something new to try.
Thanks again!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disciplining

I will try it as well, thanks! What should I try to get my puppy to eat he seems to think his food bowl is going to attack him because he grabs a piece a food as if it may bite back and then runs off with it he doesn'y get much ate this way

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disciplining

My pom does the same thing... I have noticed that he does this when he is snacking, but when he is really hungry he will stay right there and eat. Hope that helps to know you aren't alone.
Meghan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disciplining

My two poms do the same thing, mainly during snacking too, it must just be a trait of them. I don't think there is anything you can do nor should do as it is just one of those quirks about the dog that you need to accept.