Return to Website

THE POMERANIAN FORUM

Welcome to the Pomeranian Forum.A friendly place for all lovers of the Pomeranian breed to meet and discuss all aspects of owning[ I should say being owned by a Pomeranian].A place to share grooming, training, feeding tips etc.Have fun and enjoy your Pomeranian

THE POMERANIAN FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my 3 poms- 3 biggies

I wanted to know your opinions. Does anyone else have poms like mine?

When I got Precious she was 4 months and 3 pounds. The breeder said her parents were 5 and 3 pounds and that she should not be anymore than 5. Well a year later she is 16 pounds! My sister has a male and he is 9 pounds. They mated and in March she had 2 pups a girl Sweetie and boy Cutie and they are already 10 pounds. Preiocus and Sweetie have flat coats and Cutie and the father seem to be fluffy not as fluffy and full as yours Denise. What can be the probelm. Do you think Precious is not a pure breed even though I have her parrents info? Why are they so big? Why are their coats flat? And what is this uglies thing people toalk about? Let me know if you can open my website to see pics. Also on the picture page I made a folder so you can check there.! Thanks

Alethea in NY

Re: my 3 poms- 3 biggies

First off-look at the parents. Mommy dog is 16 pounds-that means she is 9 pounds above AKC breed standards. Daddy dog is 9# -he is 2# over standard. (BTW breed standard is 3-7 pounds!!) The two dogs bring in the added size(11# totalled); so what might be a 6# pom becomes a 17# pom.

The qustion is why did you mate them ?

I do rescue and do not mate, (so I have no hands on knowledge) but I have read articles titled "why you shouldn't mate dogs" and also have found that one primary reason for mating should be about bringing forth more dogs who DO MEET the AKC standards.

I hope this helps you in the future. I hope that it atleast gives you more understanding about breeding.

Good luck raising your little cuties!!

Kelli

Oh the 'uglies' are a stage the pups go through when they are shedding their puppy coat for their adult coat. I'll let someone else elaborate.