Return to Website

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum

Feel free to post your rules questions and veiwpoints, for others to read and answer. Click on "Post" to start a new thread, click on the subject to read posts. Feel free to join in on any subject.

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ball unfit for play

I played 36 today but my fingers don't hurt enouhg to put this to you all.

Someone I was playing with said "Do I have to play my ball, it looks like its got a crack in it?"

I came over to look at the ball as it lay on the ground and sure enough it really looked like the ball was cracked.

The player marked the ball and it was lifted to observe the crack better. The crack was prodded and at this point, the crack, which was actually a 2 inch long hair (or something similar) came away from the ball.

Ladies and gentlemen, your rulings please.

Re: Ball unfit for play

DC, assuming you were his marker, there is no penalty as the player procceded correctly under R5-3. If you were not his marker then he incured a 1sp. Of course this assumes that he replaced his OB and procceded with it!
Don

Where do you play golf Pennard

Yes I was the marker. However, you cannot clean a ball to see if it is unfit for play and I remebered D.21/2.

I did not suggest any penalty need be applied. Do you agree with me?

DC. it depends upon whether the "prodding" was done with the intent to "clean the ball" for further examination, or was the prodding done by way of examination.
Am I on the same wavelenght as you?
Don

Don

I think you are. Although one could argue the ball was 'cleaned' when the hair was removed I felt that it was part of the examination process and no gross cleaning was involved so let it go.

DC

Dc,
I would like to add a ryder ( or is that a rider) to your question;- why is it that the rules do not allow for the ball to be cleaned when the player thinks it is unfit for play under R5-3?
I ask this so that those following along may be able to see the underlying principle!
Don

I would think the reason is becasue otherwise a player could say after every shot that he thinks his ball is unfit for play just so that he could get a 'free' clean of his ball.