Return to Website

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum

Feel free to post your rules questions and veiwpoints, for others to read and answer. Click on "Post" to start a new thread, click on the subject to read posts. Feel free to join in on any subject.

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playing more than one Provisional Ball

Hello All,

Different question, but for the same reaons as my previous question.

The note to R27-2 states inpart,"If another provisional ball is played, it bears the same relationship to the previous provisional ball as the first provisional ball bears to the original ball".

Would I be correct in stating;

If a player, believing his ball to be either lost or out of bounds, correctly announces, and plays a PB,(PB1), which again he thinks is either lost or out of bounds as in the case with his OB, again correctly announces his intention and plays a second provisional ball,(PB2), down the middle of the fairway.

He now goes forward and searches for his OB for 5 minutes but does not find it.
He now searches for PB1 and finds it within 5 minutes and plays it.

1. As the OB is now lost, in view of the note above, the player must abandon PB2 and proceed with PB1. Is that correct?

2. If all the balls were played from the tee, the player would be playing his 4th stroke at PB1. Correct?

Thanks, Ron.

Re: Playing more than one Provisional Ball

Ron

All correct in my book except......

If OB and PB1 were in the same area they would have been searched for at the same time (D.27/4) and if neither of them were found in 5 minutes then PB2 would be the ball in play and the player would be playing his 6th shot.

DC

Re: Playing more than one Provisional Ball

Hi DC,

Funny you should say that.

I was deliberately vague about the relative positions of PB1 WRT the OB.

I was just testing. You are of course perfectly correct in what you state. Thanks.

Regards, Ron.