​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glen Derby Deer Fences

Looking at the aerial view on Bing maps, which seems to be better resolution than those on OS or Google, the track, which looks like a quad bike trail, goes straight through that fence.

http://tinypic.com/r/5oxbuc/9

Hi Ross,

came that way in 2013, nearly 6 years ago.
Followed the track through the woods, and came out of the woods at NO 01611 59838. I believe I had to climb a forest fence there.
Then very rough heather bashing in a straight line to the top of An t-Srón. Lots of young fir tree as well, so in the beginning it is not as open as the map suggests.
On the top of An t-Srón, at the corner in the forest fence, a sort of deer fence branches off in southerly direction. I had to climb it as well.
From An t-Srón to Mains of Glenderby and onwards, no more fences, but lots of deer.

Hope that helps.

I have photographs of the fences mentioned, I can email them to you.

All the best,

Bart Horeman

I have crossed from Ballinluig to Kirkmichael a couple of times. An easier way is to take the track from the Lodge at NO 993 527 Balnamoan to Tullimeet House - it's normally unoccupied, and then head NE past some estate cottages until you reach a path to Lochan Oisinneach Mor. You can't miss it - there is a shepherd's hut at the junction, and then head N between Meall Reamhar and Craig Garbh. Although the map shows the track continuing to Mains of Glenderby, it does not exist beyond about NO 044 574 but joins up with the track coming up from the east.

Bart, thanks for your insight. I'll let you know if I need the photos. How high are the fences?

Thanks

Brian, thanks for taking the time to check out a Bing aerial and post it.