​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rail Tickets from Montrose - London now available

A word to the travelwise. On long distance routes (like the East Coast line to London) cattle class may seem cheaper, but you have to pay for food & drink. Check out those extra costs.

In First Class hot food, sandwiches, drinks (even beer & wine) are complimentary. Eat & drink enough and you'll get your travel for free! :wink:

You're right on the money, Phil! On the rare occasions that I travel to London (here in Scotland it's LNER) I always travel first-class. As you say full well, the premium is taken care of by the unlimited scoff! Anything more than three hours get's you on the pig's back. Stonehaven to Berwick? Sign me up, babes. Mind you, Scotrail and Virgin have no such luck. Choose your operator carefully.

If you're in the humour, coming from down south and chanelling Michael Portillo, then I'd recommend the very wonderful LNER through-train that runs out of London King's Cross every week-day at 12:00 and pulls into Inverness at 20:06. One of the great rail journeys. No changes. Eight hours of joy. Costs £71.95 with a rail-card and worth every penny. Unlimited G&T's, proper grub and good company all the way! What's not to like/lick?

Humphrey,
You’re absolutely right - i’ve booked that train, a night in an Inverness guest house then early morning bus to Dornie the next day - walking before 11.00am - at least I’ll start the walk well rested and well fed!

Return from Montrose is equally good, the 10.33 on Friday 24th takes me direct to London for £53.45 with a senior railcard.

If I eat and drink enough on each journey, it will be cheaper than standard class.