​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drinking Water

i went through heathery Haugh in the Feteresso a few years ago & found a lovely camp & nice stream/burn. then looked to my right & there was a dead lamb in the water. took water above, no problems.

another time I took water from a burn elsewhere & drank it to find a rotting fully grown stag in the water, I tried to pull it out but its flesh fell away in my hands ... still no tummy upset :tired_face:

I remember it well Lilo....it was too ****ed heavy to shift, even for a big strong lad like you!

Thanks guys for the 'reassurance' - reminds me of a story Hamish Brown tells (in 'Hamish's Mountain Walk' I think) of a conversation between students on the hill. One is admonishing another not to drink from streams because there may be a dead sheep in the water upstream which will lead him to catch liver flukes - which is what old shepherds die of. The one being admonished thinks for a moment and replies 'as long as they're old shepherds, I'll risk it!'

I've never filtered or sterilised water on the hill - I guess we all take precautions or not as we see it (and I may already be older than many old shepherds!).

Hopefully I'll be in a fit condition:
a) to walk through the Fetteresso Forest (last year I only got halfway on my first challenge)
b) drink the water and live to tell the story
c) regale other challengers with my own horror stories in due course.

I think you've got what it takes Graham. Perhaps see you somewhere in the Fetteresso, taking our own risks and doing it our own way!! Good luck :slightly_smiling_face: