​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: viewranger

Hi Stef - there are plenty of apps that will record your walk, Strava being one of the best known but there are many others. These recorded tracks can then be shared when you get WiFi or a mobile data signal. The shared link will show the route on a shared basemap, probably Google Maps.

The problem will be to find an app that lets you reduce the sample frequency. Most apps on phones, dedicated GPS watches etc. will sample at least every second for distance accuracy but this will flatten your phone battery in a few hours. If you can find an app that only grabs your location every 5 or 10 minutes, then that's the way to go.

See you on the Winter Walk!

Andy

Andy
Hi Stef - there are plenty of apps that will record your walk, Strava being one of the best known but there are many others. These recorded tracks can then be shared when you get WiFi or a mobile data signal. The shared link will show the route on a shared basemap, probably Google Maps.

The problem will be to find an app that lets you reduce the sample frequency. Most apps on phones, dedicated GPS watches etc. will sample at least every second for distance accuracy but this will flatten your phone battery in a few hours. If you can find an app that only grabs your location every 5 or 10 minutes, then that's the way to go.

See you on the Winter Walk!

Andy
The Viewranger app allows you to alter the time between track samples in the Track Settings from the main menu. I didn't change my settings, 20 metres and five seconds between sampling, when I tracked my last two Challenges but ran my mobile on flight mode between civilisations. I had no problems with the battery, but I didn't use it as my main camera or for anything other than Viewranger while walking.

Louise

can you give me some bullet points how to use it? For example do i need to load my route onto it so it tracks me? or can i just press start and it tracks me? once i get to civilisation can i send it to my facebook if so how!

Thanks

Stef

Hi Stefan
Using the Viewranger App is an absolute doddle, especially if a technophobe like myself can use it.
The trick is...to read and follow the instructions. There us a link to the Help section in the App Menu, but to start you off, for Android:
https://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=4
Apple:
https://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=9
If you want to make it harder for yourself and skip the useful information:
Android:
https://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=4
Apple instructions also on the Viewranger website.
Trust me, it is MUCH better to read the instructions and play with the app than try to get tips from someone remotely. You have a few months.
Louise

Thanks Andy for the info, I have that viewranger but i dont really under stand it. I was concerned about the battery but i have a solar panel that i was going to take, its not the lightest thing in the world and im still debating whether to take it or not yet! I might still give that veiwranger a second chance but i really dont know how to use or understand it. See you in Feb lets hope its not raining!!