​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Smidge or DEET?

Not for midges - never had any issues with them on the Challenge - but I've sprayed my T shirts, trousers and socks and pack with Permethrin for the dreaded ticks. :blush:

I would not use any product containing DEET. DEET is a plastisizer and will discolour or dissolve a wide range of plasics or film. In tests even a 30 percent solution will dissolve breathable laminates.

Well Smidge doesn’t work as far as I’m concerned. Anyway I’ll risk taking nothing after the winter we’ve had 😁

I've sprayed my sock tops and trousers with permethrin against the dreaded ticks, and have one of those little credit-card sized smidge packs as an 'in-case' for midges. Last year the only midgey session I had (early morning in camp, when the previous night's wind had dropped) was on day 2 on Loch Etive.

None the little Devils still nosh away!!!!!:grimacing:

I've never needed either on a Challenge and, living north of the Challenge area, tend not to need anything before the end of June. Then it's Avon Skin So Soft. I've used DEET in tropical areas but agree it's scary. I've never tried Smidge because Skin So Soft is so good.

I occasionally think about taking a midge head net on a Challenge but it's usually left behind. At home between July and September I use a midge jacket when working outside or hill-walking. That would be a bit heavy for the Challenge.

On the tick front, they are really, really, really bad this year. The dog is getting about 3 a day at the moment. I'm fortunate that they don't like me and I think I've had 2 in my life. But if I were more likely to get one, I would use the permethrin.

Vanessa