​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bringing food products into the UK

Just became aware of the UK limits on bringing food products into the country, in particular on meat and dairy products from non-EU countries. Link to explanation below. Glad I learned now, but wish I knew earlier before I did my purchasing and dehydrating . . . . Thought I'd flag for anyone else in a similar position.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports

Re: Bringing food products into the UK

This will be my third challenge this year and the previous two years I have brought food over with no issue at all. This included the foil packets of chicken and tuna. Maybe because they're sealed, store-bought items. I'm not condoning doing this, but like I said it hasn't been an issue (I probably just jinxed myself for this year though :joy: )

Similar contraints apply when bringing material into the US

Hi
In years past when my work required me to fly internationally, I regularly saw folk being searched and food taken from them at UK airports. Every island country or region does this, USA, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
The intention is to prevent the spread of disease such as foot and mouth which the UK is currently clear of. In the last outbreak in 2001, over 6 Million animals had to be slaughtered to contain the spread of the disease. The source of that outbreak was thought to be contaiminated imported meat with the waste being fed to pigs. You can therefore understand why you are likely to be asked to declare food, even cooked and dehydrated foods. You aren't even allowed to carry a ham sandwich through customs.

I would also hope that any traveler would clean their boots and their tent ground sheet before traveling. The eggs of larvae and seeds of invasive plants could be hiding in the dirt.

Regards

Colin

All makes sense. Thx

I was going to brave it and see if I could get stuff through but knowing my luck..... I'd be out all my food and have to start over. I'll buy food there.

At least my 6th year bringing food in....

I came over a couple of weeks ago with all my Mountain House dehydrated meals and a few other purchased dried items, as I usually do, with no issues. If it's hermetically sealed at a factory and not homemade (and even then I feel it's 99% okay), is there a real issue here, other than not paying tax on it?

That said, this was the first time there was an announcement on Virgin Atlantic about bringing food in.

And I don't offer any extra information, just that I'm hiking across Scotland on an annual organized event.

I'm more worried about the immigration officers grilling me about my visit and showing proof of a flight home, which happens every time I come in, without fail.

And, yes, coming to the US, no dairy, meat or fruit allowed, although dried fruit is okay. You can bring that and other food, I.e. Tea, chocolate, spices, etc. in as long as you claim it on your arrival card and it's for your consumption or gifts.

Re: At least my 6th year bringing food in....

Good point about the return ticket, Julie. Way back in the day - '93 - I was coming into the UK from France and had, shall we say, an interesting dialogue with immigration. My then GrrrrlFiend (US citizen)was refused entry. She's an artist, and they were looking for a work permit, la la.