​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: See you soon!

Thanks for the tip on Henderson's! I'll have almost a day there before going to Inverness by train. Will visit :)

Oh wow... You all just added a ton more to my list haha. Thank you so much. Will totally hit as much as I can.

Thanks for the great ideas, I'll be in Edinburgh Tues + Wedn before I hit the train to Fort William Thursday :pizza: Speaking of which, any good places in FW? I have just enough time for lunch before the bus for Shiel Bridge leaves!

Hi Holly,

Edinburgh has more restaurants per head of population than anywhere else in the UK. The best value is away from the tourist areas on Princes St, George St. Having said this, the Dogs on Hanover Street is good and reasonable.

Choice depends on if you want somewhere convenient to where you are staying. If you let me know area, I may be able to make recommendations.

Other places I would recommend

1. Educated Flea on Broughton Street or its sister restaurant Three Birds in Bruntsfield (excellent value lunches, unusual food)
2. Mother India in Infirmary St for curries or Mezbaan in Brougham St (S. Indian, not classy decor).
3. Agree with Humphrey re Cafe Royal (tho not with Hendersons, I think food is a bit beige)
4. Best pizzas (IMO) are in La Favorita in Leith Walk; Vittorios on the Bridge (George IV bridge) is the same group so should be similar but I've never tried.
5. If you want veggie recommendations, I can ask my daughter. There are lots of new veggie restaurants.
6. Lots of places for brunch. Honeycomb & Co in Bruntsfield recenly won best breakfast cafe.
7. Near the castle, Hannams is a Kurdish resto that we like (large portions)
8. Stockbridge is worth visiting and only a short walk from centre. Scran and Scallie is a gastropub there. Food is good but not cheap. Cafe Florentine is nice for a coffee. Farmers market on a Sunday with lots of street food.

Hope this helps
Ian

Oh yea and when yr in Inverness check out Cool Runnings.

Sit-up-straight-no-mumbling-this-is-serious Jamaican food. Think cajun but with a ton more grunt . . . :hot_pepper: . Open from midday through 10pm. Wall-to-wall reggae and Solid Grooves. Click here for a sample menu

I'm taking notes for next year's family trip back to Scotland...nothing more than day walks but lots of site seeing and restaurants!

Mmmmmm you are making me hungry.

So amazing!!! Thank you!!! I am staying at the cowgate hostile. Smack in the middle so they say. :grinning:

Edinburgh can be rough but usually not hostile!!
There are some very good restaurants near Leith if you want some Michelin standard food. Also, the queens yacht is moored at Leith as a permanent exhibit/museum.
Public transport is very good and you can also use Uber. If you are round the Ratho area, the Bridge Inn is very good.
If you have some spare time, a walk down Rose Street is worth it but try not to visit every pub on it!
Enjoy yourself and maybe see you on the crossing.

So anyone up for some Jamaican food on Wednesday evening in Inverness?
:smiley:

I think Greg's was my most favorite place to eat... Greggs with two g's?? This boy saw me each morning and had me food ready.. Try this today Holly. Haha. He was amazing.