​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stormin Stoves.

Hi Brian I have used one of Stormin`s stoves on the TGO several times and will have it with me this year along with Norman no problem great piece of kit

Hi Keith, I am extremely impressed with the stove. Hope you enjoy your crossing. If I bump into Norman, the least I can do is buy him a drink! Watch out for that John Woolston, I remember him in 2016 and his gymnastics in the shower in Braemar youth hostel!

Brian Whiteman
Purchased one of Stormin's Stoves earlier this year and have used it in a few overnight trips. I have used other meths/denatured alcohol stoves over the years but this will be the first time I have used one for the TGO Challenge. Any tips from other users would be gratefully accepted.
Hi Brian, I too purchased a Stormin Stove - a one piece version - Horizon.

Used it a few times and found it more efficient than my Caldera Cone Sidewinder. 20 ccs easily boils 500 mls of water. I blow it out as soon as I've boiled the water. I've ended up with the stove overflowing - so 20 ccs is more than enough.

I prefer bio-ethanol and plan to carry enough to get me to Breamar - with a few esbit tablets to be on the safe side. May switch to esbit for the finish. 4 tablets a day for my needs but in using it it needs to well ventilated.

My Tramplite shelter gives plenty of ventilation.

Hi Gordon, I bought the Titanium 2 piece that fits into my MSR Titan kettle 850ml. I also plan to carry a few Esbit tablets for emergencies. Thanks for the tip re: 20ccs.