​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Updating a GG Mariposa rucksack

I retrofitted the new Mariposa hipbelt to my Mk2 Mariposa (Dyneema Gridstop version) and it is so much better than the first and second iterations. Ian, I believe you have the original Mariposa with the mesh side pockets. I think you will find the suspension in the latest version much more comfortable. BTW you can’t use the new hipbelt on the version 1 Mariposa.

My Mk2 Mariposa is now a bit knackered with the shoulder straps beginning to sag so I’ve replaced it with a Tramplite 50L rucksack made by fellow Challenger Colin Ibbotson which is really good. Unfortunately, his order book is full.

However, you might want to take a look at Atom Packs as an alternative. Made in England and they look the business https://www.atompacks.co.uk Uses VX material which is very hard wearing and highly water resistant. If I didn’t have a Tramplite, I’d seriously think about getting The Mo.

Much as I like the space and flexibility of my c.2014 Mariposa, I have sewn on a Cordura external base to counteract wear when it is put down and I have added some padding to shoulder straps. The stretchy pocket has needed a number of repairs where the fabric has been snagged and is looking a bit scruffy though still serviceable.

Any help to you, Ian?

Dump all that Mariposa Lightweight Nonsense and go for this Classic Bomb-proof Baby!

Click on the link for more information!

What a Proper Rucsac Looks Like

Yeah, I also did the Pennine Way with one of those babies, I've still got the scars on my kidneys. They were designed to concentrate all the pressure onto the two points at the bottom of the frame. The leather straps must have weighed 2kg by themselves and when the canvas got wet it was like carrying three breeze blocks.

After that torture I saved up and bought myself one of the new high-tech Karrimor Totem Seniors on a K2 frame, oh what an improvement!! That trusty baby is still hanging in my shed, it is doubtful that it will ever get used again but I can't bear to throw it away.

Time to get my Ventile jacket from the back of the wardrobe and Force Ten Mk2 down from the loft :sweat_smile:

OK I get it, this years challenge theme is retro....

Mmmm I'll get my Brasher Boots from the allotment, the Karrimor (Panther?) rucksack from the garage, my old Duofold baselayer from the dog basket and I've got a pair of Troll trousers somewhere.

The old Khyam 1 man umbrella tent is still in the loft with the Trangia.

Can't get the PVC oilskins as they are still covering the rhubarb

Obviously not :thinking_face: